Friday, September 16, 2022

Flashback Friday: 9/20/1985

 Hello everyone. As promised, I have returned for this week's Friday Flashback after a week's hiatus. This week, I thought I'd return to Springsteen and Madonna, way before Nirvana. That's right, we're going back to the future 1985 tonight. So, without further ado, here were the top 40 songs for the week ending September 20, 1985:

40. Communication by Power Station. Power Station was a supergroup consisting of Robert Palmer, John and Andy Taylor of Duran Duran fame, and Tony Thompson from the band Chic (remember "Le Freak?"). Anyway, when this song was popular, I would play a little game with the small radio I would listen to. There was an old-timey gospel station just down the dial from Q98 in Fayetteville, NC and every time the song in question would say, "communication," I would quickly flip it to the gospel station for a few seconds, then flip it again at the time "communication" was said again. To me it was hilarious.

39. And We Danced by The Hooters. No, they weren't a band full of hot waitresses serving wings and beer. Instead, this Philadelphia outfit's founding members got their first success from arranging, writing, and performing on "She's So Unusual," Cyndi Lauper's debut album.

38. You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey. Did you know? On this date in 1984, the TV show that this song came from debuted? Yes, "Miami Vice" made its groundbreaking debut on this day thirty-eight years ago. And there have been quite the list of guest stars during its run on NBC.

37. Smokin' In The Boys Room by Motley Crue

36. You're Only Human by Billy Joel

35. Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams. Alas, it wasn't a summer of 69 for me. Maybe I can make up for it this autumn and winter...

34. We Built This City by Starship. Remember when every radio station in a major market did their own voiceovers to the interlude of this song? Tampa's was kind of lame tbh...

33. I Got You Babe by UB40 and Chrissie Hynde. Rather forgettable remake.

32. Freeway Of Love by Aretha Franklin. Timeless classic. When Real Radio 104.1 in Orlando was in their infancy during the summer of 1993, this would be a staple of their weekend music selection.

31. Be Near Me by ABC. The message is perfectly simple, the meaning is clear. Unless I'm saying it, then for some reason said person acts like they're confused, isn't that right, T****? Yes, I'm still a little bitter about that.

30. One Night Love Affair by Bryan Adams. At this stage of my life, a one-night love affair would be a vast improvement over what I have now...

29. Four In The Morning by Night Ranger. In ither words, my bedtime.

28. I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down by Paul Young. Nope, don't remember this one on radio.

27. The Wat You Do The Things You Do by Hall & Oates et al. This was recorded live at the historic Apollo Theater in Harlem.

26. Sunset Grill by Don Henley

25. Invincible by Pat Benatar. On the soundtrack for "The Legend of Billie Jean" starring Helen Slater. Also made a brief comeback as a meme on YTMND a few years ago.

24. Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears. Funny how time flies...

23. Every Step Of The Way by John Waite

22. Lovin' Every Minute Of It by Loverboy. Outside of "Working For The Weekend" and "This Could Be The Night," this I think wa their biggest hit.

21. Miami Vice Theme by Jan Hammer. See #38.

20. Dare Me by The Pointer Sisters

19. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis & The News. Whoa Doc, this is heavy.

18. C-I-T-Y by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band

17. We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner. We could use some more actually.

16. Cry by Godley & Creme. Yuck

15. I'm Goin' Down by Bruce Springsteen. Something I wanted to say this summer. But I didn't want my emotions to feel that way dammit!

14. Pop Life by Prince

13. Part-Time Lover by Stevie Wonder

12. Fortress Around Your Heart by Sting. Apparently, there is one around mine, because nobody wants to storm it. At least not the women I do like...

11. Dancing In The Street by David Bowie and Mick Jagger

10. Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston. I remember slow dancing with a girl I liked at the St. Pauls, NC town scout hut for someone's birthday. She went to a private school and I lost contact with her. She's now married to someone else. Such has been my fortune.

  9. St. Elmo's Fire by John Parr

  8. Lonely Ol' Night by John Cougar Mellencamp. I've spent about a million of them...

  7. Oh Sheila by Ready For The World

  6. Freedom by Wham!

  5. Cherish by Kool & The Gang

  4. Don't Lose My Number by Phil Collins

  3. Take On Me by A-ha. Not too long ago, this was popular on TikTok for an effect they used that was in the video of said song, but it didn't include that girl with the tie-dye shirt dancing.










  2. Dress You Up by Madonna ๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“

and the number one song on this date in 1985 was...

  1. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits.


This took entirely too long, and I wanted to get some drawing of my crush done. So I'll see you towards the beginning of next week.


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment