Friday, September 2, 2022

Flashback Friday, September

 Hello again everyone. Got off to a bit of a late start to this post, had an errand to help out with and had to catch up on other things. But I'm here to take you back to a rather weird year in pop music in my opinion, 1994. A little bit about me during that timeframe, I was about to begin my fourth month aboard the USS Eisenhower back then, and we had already made a port visit to Puerto Rico, where I would meet someone that unfortunately wouldn't last, oh well. Without further ado, here were the top 40 CHR pop songs according to Radio & Records magazine for the week ending September 2, 1994:

40. I'd Give Anything by Gerald Levert

39. Games People Play by Inner Circle. Is Inner Circle still getting royalties off "Bad Boys?"

38. All I Want Is You by U2

37. Basket Case by Green Day. Got tons of airplay on MTV as I recall

36. Good Times by Edie Brickell

35. You Gotta Be by Des'ree. This song was only in its third week back then, but would be on this chart until next summer...

34. Fantastic Voyage by Coolio. Wildly popular on the pop station I listened to at the time, which wouldn't be a pop station by the time I got back from deployment to the Mediterranean/Middle East six months later.

33. I'll Be Loving You by Collage. One of the last hits from the early-90s freestyle era to garner airplay on the radio.

32. Right Beside You by Sophie B. Hawkins. I remember when Tampa radio personality and blowhard extraordinaire MJ Kelli said that this was a big hit for Sophie back then; it didn't reach the top fifteen you fricking tool...

31. Another Night by Real McCoy. They had an amazing one-year run, then they faded off into Bolivia (as Mike Tyson once said), didn't they? 

30. Far Behind by Candlebox. A pretty decent track, and a former favorite of the closest thing I have to an ex, which is one of the few good things I have to say about her.

29. I'm The Only One by Melissa Etheridge. I recall WNOR (the rock station in Norfolk at the time) creating a parody song off this that definitely wouldn't fly today.

28. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows. I loved this song. Did they wind up being big stars though? 

27. I'll Stand By You by the Pretenders. The band's last chart single wound up being their biggest hit. Should have gone to #1 though.

26. Letitgo by Prince

25. December 1963 by The Four Seasons. This was a remixed and updated version from Ben Liebrand of their hit from eighteen years prior that got tons of airplay.

24. Back & Forth by Aaliyah. God rest her soul.

23. I Swear by All-4-One. I don't like country music, but this one I have to give the nod to John Michael Montgomery instead of the knockoff version by All-4-One.

22. Lucky One by Amy Grant

21. 100% Pure Love by Crystal Waters. The enlisted club in at the Navy Base there used to play the shit out of this song.

20. You Mean The World To Me by Toni Braxton. For once, I would love to hear that said about me...

19. Come To My Window by Melissa Etheridge. This and "Mr. Jones" were spending their 29th week on the top 40 chart this particular week, which was is a frigging eternity back in 1994, but is somewhat commonplace today.

18. Anytime, Anyplace by Janet Jackson. The video made me drool over Janet, but we wouldn't see the goods until nine years later thanks to Justin Timberlake. Thats two career he's helped ruin. F*** him.

17. Always by Erasure

16. Until I Fall Away by Gin Blossoms. Nice change of pace track by an underrated band.

15. Anytime You Need A Friend by Mariah Carey. Would any chart be from the 90s if Mariah didn't at least make one appearance. By the way, this was before THAT DAMNED SONG was released. You know which one I'm talking about.

14. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. Arguably the best song in my opinion for that summer.

13. If You Go by Jon Secada

12. Prayer For The Dying by Seal

11. Round Here by Counting Crows. Their follow-up to "Mr. Jones," kind of a sad song actually.

10. You Better Wait by Steve Perry. Advice that Matt Gaetz should have taken a while ago...

  9. Crazy by Aerosmith. Before "Clueless," Alicia Silverstone starred in Aerosmith videos. This one included Liv Tyler. 💘

  8. All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow. What was her fixation with Tuesdays anyway?

  7. When Can I See You by Babyface. Actually, the question should be, "when can you see me?"

  6. Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton John. Now I have visions of "The Lion King" in my head, hakuna matata.

  5. Shine by Collective Soul. Their breakout hit that they would ride out for the duration of the mid-90s.

  4. Don't Turn Around by Ace of Base. I swear you couldn't avoid that group in 1994. The next time there was such a Swedish invasion was Ikea.

  3. Wild Night by John Mellencamp f/ Michelle Ndegeocello. A much better version than Van Morrison's 1971 track (which for some reason the "pop" station in Charleston, SC played in favor over Mellencamp's version, I suspect racism on the part of the owners of that station. I can't prove it though...

  2. I'll Make Love To You by Boys II Men. Another group you couldn't avoid in 1994.

...and the number one song this date twenty-eight years ago was...

 1. Stay (I Missed You) by Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories. I think in another universe, Lisa Loeb was a woman who I could have had a chance with...











...except she doesn't have red hair.

So, there was your flashback for this week. I'll probably be writing again sometime around midnight after "SmackDown" and "Rampage" are done for the night. Until later...


CT











No comments:

Post a Comment