Friday, January 28, 2022

Late Friday/Early Saturday Thoughts

 Greetings once again. If you caught my last entry, I have a new place to go as far as listening to music is concerned. Will that mean I've stopped listening to Spotify? Well, it's complicated. Allow me to explain.

As you may have known by now, rock legend Neil Young requested Spotify to pull his catalog of songs unless the stopped airing the Joe Rogan podcast. Rogan has been rather notorious with his anti-vaccination stance, and general misinformation about Coronavirus. So, guess what side Spotify decided to choose? The science denier and anti-vaxxer. 









Other artists are now beginning to follow Young's lead and pulling their music on the platform, and Joni Mitchell is only th beginning. Others are sure to follow, perhaps even Taylor Swift again. Along with artists abandoning Spotify, there have been calls to delete the app altogether. I'm not going to do that...yet.

What I have done though, is remove my premium subscription to Spotify. I figure if they are going to support Joe Rogan's stance on Coronavirus, then I shouldn't give my money to them. There's ten dollars a month saved. But I'll keep Spotify; I don't listen to Rogan's podcast anyway. Nor do I want to, and that's the beauty of my rationale; it's a free service, so why would I stop listening altogether? Plus, I can already boycott, and am already boycotting by refusing to listen to, Joe Rogan. I guess in a way, it's like a way of censorship. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend isn't shaping up to be great if you're reading this along the Atlantic coast, from the Carolinas to New England and all the way up to the Canadian Maritimes. A strong nor'easter is bearing down and will wreak havoc to millions along the east coast. The Weather Channel is somehow naming this thing Kenan, but it ought to be named Karen or Kerfuffle or something else. Ideally, they shouldn't be named at all, and I KNOW I've had a rant about it before on this very blog, even so much as giving my own names for them. But I can't find it and right now, I don't feel like surfing though every post I've made to dig it up. Just know it'll be colder than a well-digger's ass tomorrow (Sunday) morning. Those poor wenches that have to brave those conditions for Gasparilla tomorrow, I hope they (and the pirates) are well-insulated for the event. 









--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what I forgot to do this week? Post a top-40 chart from a past year. So, here's a quick flashback Friday (it's still Friday by two minutes as I type this) from Radio & Records Magazine this week in 1997:

40. Just Between You And Me by DC Talk
39. It's Alright, It's Okay by Leah Andreone
38. Fly Like An Eagle by Seal
37. All Mixed Up by 311
36. One Headlight by The Wallflowers
35. Say...If You Feel Alright by Crystal Waters
34. Discotheque by U2
33. Please Don't Go by No Mercy
32. #1 Crush by Garbage
31. Desperately Wanting by Better Than Ezra

30. Pony by Ginuwine
29. Grease Megamix by Grease Megamix
28. I Believe In You And Me by Whitney Houston
27. When You Love A Woman by Journey
26. Every Time I Close My Eyes by Babyface
25. Just Another Day by John Mellencamp
24. I Go Blind by Hootie and the Blowfish
23. When You're Gone by The Cranberries
22. Love Rollercoaster by Red Hot Chili Peppers
21. The Holy River by (the artist formerly known as) Prince

20. Barely Breathing by Duncan Sheik
19. I'm Still In Love With You by New Edition
18. This Is Your Night by Amber
17. Without Love by Donna Lewis
16. Every Day Is A Winding Road by Sheryl Crow
15. No Diggity by Blackstreet
14. Nobody by Keith Sweat
13. If It Makes You Happy by Sheryl Crow
12. Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette
11. A Long December by Counting Crows

10. Mouth by Merrill Bainbridge
  9. Don't Cry For Me Argentina by Madonna
  8. I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly
  7. Wannabe by The Spice Girls
  6. You Were Meant For Me by Jewel
  5. Ooh...Aah Just A Little Bit by Gina G
  4. Don't Let Go (Love) by En Vogue
  3. Lovefool by The Cardigans
  2. Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton
  1. Don't Speak by No Doubt

And I didn't speak about the above songs because this was two months after a car accident should have killed me but didn't (much to the chagrin of at least one person) and I was deep in the throes of my depression. In fact, it was probably the most depressed I've been, aside from spring of 2015. How I survived the Navy while going through that, and not being sent to the mental ward at Portsmouth Naval Hospital I'll never know. I don't want to ever go back to that period of time in my life. Thanks for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for actually being good later that year to help me pull out of it.

Maybe I'll somehow find the gumption to talk about it later on. Meantime, since Championship Sunday is coming up, I thought I'd give my picks for the two games. For the AFC Championship, my heart is with Cincinnati but I'm picking Kansas City. For the NFC Championship, my heart is with San Francisco, but my head is with Los Angeles. So, for the second straight year, a team is playing at home for the Super Bowl. I'll make my pick once the game comes up after my birthday. As for how I did for the season, not too bad; I got seven of the eight division champions correct, so that should count for something even though I whiffed on my Super Bowl pick, which is probably why I wasn't too cheerful after the games last Sunday.

Well, I better wrap this up so I can get some rest before I watch Drunkfest tomorrow on my television. Too bad Gayle Guyardo won't be a part of the coverage...


OR WILL SHE?!


Until tomorrow more than likely


CT


No comments:

Post a Comment