Friday, January 7, 2022

Flashback Friday: 1/10/86

 Greetings once again, and welcome to our first Throwback Thursday entry of 2022, a day late because I posted this particular entry yesterday. Therefore, instead of a Throwback Thursday, it's a Flashback Friday. Tonight, I'm going back to 1986. I was in the middle of my first year of middle school, I hadn't worn glasses yet, and the Bucs were the worst team in football. Here now were the Top 40 songs according to Radio & Records Magazine for the week ending January 10, 1986.

40. He'll Never Love You (Like I Do) by Freddie Jackson.

39. Go by Asia. 

38. Sleeping Bag by ZZ Top. I was quite fond of this song actually.

37. A Love Bizarre by Sheila E. You don't hear of any women named Sheila anymore, do we? I think I only remember knowing one Sheila in my lifetime, and she was one of my eighth grade teachers

36. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora. This song got virtually zero airplay when I lived in NC. I didn't hear about this song until a few years later when Listerine mouthwash used it as part of their ad campaign to introduce their Cool Mint flavor.

35. Perfect Way by Scritti Politti.

34. Sara by Starship. That's Rebecca DeMornay starring in the music video. 

33. Separate Lives by Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin.

32. Silent Running by Mike + the Mechanics.

31. The Sun Always Shines on TV by A-ha.

30. The Sweetest Taboo by Sade.

29. Everything In My Heart by Cory Hart. No pun intended, of course.

28. Everybody Dance by Ta Mara and the Seen.

27. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister.

26. Sex As A Weapon by Pat Benatar

25. Face The Face by Pete Townshend.

24. Life In A Northern Town by Dream Academy. I remember Casey Kasem on "American Top Ten" the weeks later that year stating that this song contained an oboe. The song itself reminded me of a winter's day.

23. Living In America by James Brown.

22. Goodbye by Night Ranger.

21. Kyrie by Mr. Mister.

20. Conga by Miami Sound Machine.

19. Sidewalk Talk by Jellybean. Yes, Madonna provided backup vocals for this song.

18. You're A Friend Of Mine by Clarence Clemons & Jackson Browne.

17. How Will I Know by Whitney Houston.

16. It's Only Love by Bryan Adams & Tina Turner.

15. Go Home by Stevie Wonder.

14. When The Going Gets Tough (The Tough Get Going) by Billy Ocean. Cute but somewhat cringeworthy video for this song that featured the stars of "Romancing The Stone," Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, and Danny DeVito.

13. Spies Like Us by Paul McCartney.

12. I Miss You by Klymaxx.

11. Small Town by John Mellencamp.

10. My Hometown by Bruce Springsteen.

9. Tonight She Comes by The Cars.

8. I'm Your Man by Wham!

7. Party All The Time by Rick James Eddie Murphy. Yeah, Eddie sang the first two verses...and that's it. Rick James, the song's producer, filled in the rest. Listen to it sometime.

6. Walk Of Life by Dire Straits.

5. Burning Heart by Survivor. You know, I never watched "Rocky IV."

4. Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds.

3. Talk To Me by Stevie Nicks.

2. That's What Friends Are For by Dionne (Warwick) and Friends (Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, and Sir Elton John.

and the number one song this week in 1986 was...

1. Say You, Say Me by Lionel Richie. 











"I had an awesome dream..." 

And I did, a couple of nights ago. I dreamt that a woman came up to me completely naked and asked me to dance with her. But I digress. Anyway, that's tonight's flashback. I should have more to come sometime this weekend. Until then...


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment