Friday, January 21, 2022

Flashback Friday: 1/21/1994

 Greetings for the second time today. I said that I may have a second entry today, and wouldn't you know I delivered😉. For today's edition of Flashback Friday, I had first thought about doing this week in 1987. However, in light of the news of Meat Loaf's passing, I thought I would choose a chart that contained one of his singles. Unfortunately, there's only one year that had one of his songs charted on this particular date, and that's the Radio & Records Top 40 chart from January 21, 1994. 














RIP Mr. Loaf

40. So Much In Love by All-4-One. If this had been their only hit, I probably wouldn't have that much of an issue with them. But then they had to create their own version of John Michael Montgomery's "I Swear" and I was like come on, man. By the way, I would have the same issue a few years later when Mark Chesnutt would create a country version of Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing."

39. Gangsta Lean by DRS.

38. Stay by Eternal.

37. Goody Goody by Lizette Melendez. According to Radio & Records, this was her only chart hit, but she had a huge dance smash in 1991 with "Together Forever."

36. Getto Jam by Domino.

35. Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through by Meat Loaf. This was a remake of songwriter Jim Steinman's chart song in 1981, and Meat Loaf's follow-up to his smash hit "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)." The CD "Bat Out Of Hell II" was actually the first CD I bought, seriously. News reports are saying that Mr. Loaf died due to COVID. Dammit, man.

34. What's My Name? by Snoop Dogg. "...and his name was Robert Paulson."

33. Everyday by Phil Collins.

32. Again by Janet Jackson. As I recall, this came from her movie "Poetic Justice," which also starred Tupac Shakur. Too bad I didn't get a chance to see that movie. I really didn't like living in Charleston.

31. Jessie by Joshua Kadison.

30. Understanding by Xscape.

29. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Oh my my, oh hell yes. You gotta put on that party dress. Kim Basinger starred in the video.

28. Daughter by Pearl Jam.

27. Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) by Us 3. I thought that this song would last the test of time. Guess not...

26. Now and Forever by Richard Marx. His singing career kinda fizzled after this song. He became more focused on songwriting.

25. Queen Of The Night by Whitney Houston. The soundtrack for her movie "The Bodyguard" sure had some staying power.

24. Higher Ground by UB40. No, this wasn't the dame song made famous by Stevie Wonder and remade by RHCP. But it was a decent song, nonetheless.

23. Dreams by Gabrielle.

22. Having A Party by Rod Stewart. Unpopular opinion: I never did care for MTV's "Unplugged." Like at all. I know some people preferred it, but it didn't do anything for me, and in my mind was one of the worst things musically MTV has done. I now will duck while everyone throws tomatoes at me.

21. Never Keeping Secrets by Babyface.

20. Will You Be There In The Morning by Heart. Let me see, did you invite me to come over? If so, yes.

19. I Can See Clearly Now by Jimmy Cliff. Great remake, too bad the "pop" station in Charleston at the time never played it, opting instead for the original version. Did I mention how much I disliked living in Charleston?

18. Life (Everybody Needs Somebody) by Haddaway. In my opinion a better song than "What Is Love?"

17. Because Of Love by Janet Jackson.

16. The Sign by Ace of Base. Bet you have that tume in your head now. You're welcome.

15. Mr. Vain by Culture Beat.

14. Can We Talk by Tevin Campbell. No. Next...

13. Miss You In A Heartbeat by Def Leppard. They actually had two versions of this song; an electric version and the more popular stripped-down ballad version.

12. Said I Loved You But I Lied by Michael Bolton. Man, I feel this...hard.
 












11. The Power Of Love by Celine Dion. I had mentioned this song in an earlier post

10. Choose by Color Me Badd.

9. Amazing by Aerosmith. Their second hit to have a video starring Alicia Silverstone..........sorry, my jaw hit the ground thinking about her.

8. Found Out About You by The Gin Blossoms. You know, before the days of the internet and social media, I don't know how that was possible.

7. Because The Night by 10,000 Maniacs. See #22...

6. Please Forgive Me by Bryan Adams.

5. Linger by The Cranberries. You can tell by listening to this song that they were Irish.

4. Shoop by Salt-n-Pepa. Oh, you want the bow-legged dude. K.

3. Breathe Again by Toni Braxton.

2. Hero by Mariah Carey. Remember that station I mentioned earlier? They overlaid clips of Michael Jordan's "retirement" press conference over this song. 

...and the number one song on this date in 1994 was...

1. All For Love by Bryan Adams, Sting, and Rod Stewart. No, I didn't see "The Three Musketeers" either.  





















This concludes my flashback Friday for this week. One loose end from my last post that I overlooked; among annoying commercials, I neglected two Taco Bell ads. "This is the move right here." Uh, no it isn't, and "you give off serious Libra vibes." Well, this Aquarian thinks you're full of sh*t. The other commercials where the bell rings out of nowhere and whoever stops what they're doing to go to the Bell is quite hilarious though.

*Bell rings*

Damn, I better go grab a taco. Until next time...


More to come

CT

No comments:

Post a Comment