Friday, January 21, 2022

Friday Thoughts

 Greetings everyone. I know I said I would post yesterday, but I wound up sleeping most of the day (thank you, chronic depression). There was another snafu involving me and Valentine's Day, more on that later. But there are other things I wanted to write about today...


Mitch Please...

In case you didn't catch this yesterday, Bitch Mitch McConnell put his foot in his mouth...again. In a statement to reporters yesterday, he said, “The concern is misplaced, because if you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans.”

I'm sorry, what?? So, McConnell is implying that African Americans are not the same as Americans? Are you fricking shitting me?! Hopefully, for his sake, it was a misquote on his part, but part of me kinda doubt it. After all when he was Senate majority leader under the Obama administration, he did anything and everything to prevent Obama's agenda from passing in the Senate. And don't get me started on the Merrick Garland situation. Mitch, to me you're a crusty old cracker from the days of Jim Crow and segregation, and you SHOULD have been voted out in November of 2020. To coin a popular phrase, Mitch please.


Another Valentine's Day, Another Snafu

Remember the early Valentine's Day present I wrote about the other day? Well, it arrived at its destination. But there's problems galore. First, the recipient has been under the weather due to COVID this week, and she didn't receive her gift yet. Furthermore, a pesky ex-boyfriend of hers is trying to get back into the picture, and worse yet, his birthday is today. Does anything like this ever happen to anyone else? Think about it, you actually put in effort to woo someone, and this kind of thing happens? I ought to tell you all what happened to me in 1996, that was a Larry David production right there it was so hilarious in retrospect. Maybe come the actual Valentine's Day I'll tell you all that story, but gosh almighty why does that thing seemingly always happen to me???











Annoying Ads...

Is it just me or are there a plethora of annoying television ads floating around these days? Especially if you live in Central Florida and/or you watch Bally Sports. First off, you have any and all commercials for auto insurance. Geico gecko? Annoying AF. Progressive? Doubly annoying AF; I don't know who in that outfit is more annoying, Flo, Jamie, or the actor who portrays that doctor trying to prevent homeowners from becoming their parents. State Farm? Not as annoying, but imagine the ads if both Kansas City and Green Bay reach the Super Bowl (their respective starting quarterbacks are both spokesmen for State Farm)? Liberty Mutual? Forget it, except for this guy:

Then there's the ads for Spectrum mobile, which if you have Spectrum cable service, you're unfortunately bombarded with. The spokesperson is annoying enough, including the Vincent Van Gogh look, but he tops off his annoyance with his "huh, 29.99!!!" towards the beginning. It makes me wish I had a different cable provider. There are all commercials for RP Funding and Morgan & Morgan, which I think I've spoken about on this blog before or on Twitter. 

Then you have a certain ad from Toyota that is cringeworthy at best. It's the one that begins with a car phone ringing, followed by "this is James." "JIMMMMMAYYY!!!" That isn't even the worst part, it's the creepy hipster dude who asks, "James (such and such) from (so and so) High School?" I try to flip that channel before it reaches that part. Bally Sports for some reason has brought that spot from the dead recently, and I'm not okay with it. Hopefully, they don't try to bring back that awful Hyundai ad where people are singing along badly to "Sweet Caroline."

Another thing that annoys me, dudes named Devon. 


2022 Can Stop Already

Overnight, news broke that Meat Loaf, who shot to prominence with his album "Bat Out Of Hell," died overnight at the age of 74. Just a few minutes ago, news broke that comedian Louie Anderson died at the age of 68. What the heck is going on? The second great celebrity rapture (remember 2016?)? In the first three weeks of this year, we've lost Betty White, Bob Saget, Sidney Poitier, and now Meat Loaf and Louie Anderson. Jiminy Christmas, enough already, 2022!


Gen Z Woodstock

This October in Las Vegas, a massive music festival is set to take place featuring a boatload of emo bands and artists. Now this festival is being organized by LiveNation, who unfortunately organized the AstroWorld event last fall, and we all know how that turned out. Ideally, this would be like a Woodstock of sorts for the younger generations, but given this is a LiveNation event, I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening.












That's all for now. I might have a Flashback Friday entry as well later this afternoon. Until next time...

CT




No comments:

Post a Comment