Thursday, January 13, 2022

Flashback Friday and Some Other Stuff

 Hello once again everyone. We made it folks, the second week of 2022 has come and gone and somehow, we're still here. Before I get into my flashback for this week, a couple of things. First, I had a fall earlier on Thursday which created some panic between my sisters. They thought it was related to my diabetes or that I had another sudden stroke. I did not; I tripped over the cord of one of the old in-house speakers, that was all. I only scraped my left knee a little, and I did bump the side of my head against the floor, but other than that I was okay. My eldest sister tried to force me to use my old walker which I used as I was recovering from my stroke four and a half years ago, but I've learned to adapt to life without a walker for now. Leave it to my sisters to make mountains out of mole hills.

I'm also getting a bit apprehensive about what I should do/get for Valentine's Day. No, I don't have a sweetheart, but my rationale is, if I don't attempt to make some sort of effort, someone else will come along and swoop in. Maybe it's my emotional hunger speaking to me, which is more of an emotional famine if we're being completely honest, but that's the way I have always felt. Okay, enough about that before I get too wound up in my feels...

For this week's flashback, I'm dialing it back to 1999. My first year with the postal service after my six year enlistment in the Navy, and one of the favorite years of my life. Here now are the Top 40 according to Radio and Records magazine for January 15, 1999.

40. Changes by 2Pac. This sadly was 2pac's only R/R top 40 hit after his murder, and this was the only week it charted.

39. At The Stars by Better Than Ezra. Did you know that this song and not "Good" from 1995 was their highest charting song? You do now.

38. When You Believe by Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey.

37. Crush by Dave Matthews Band.

36. Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz. I loved loved this song. Could still be popular today.

35. No Mercy by Khaleel.

34. How Do I Deal by Jennifer Love Hewitt. I'm honestly surprised that Sarah Michelle Gellar didn't record her own single.

33. Angel of Mine by Monica.

32. Fire Escape by Fastball.

31. Are You That Somebody? by Aaliyah. Her biggest hit, RIP Baby Girl.

30. Thank U by Alanis Morissette. Her debut single from the album "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" and proof that her career was kinda going off the rails a little bit. By the way, I don't think she was actually naked for the music video.

29. Doo Wop (That Thing) by Lauren Hill.

28. Luv Me, Luv Me by Shaggy f/Janet. This song was unfortunately a staple long after its freshness wore out thanks to the leadup to WFLZ's morning show. How do I know? Your boy had to work those hours, at least it was toward the end of my day. So I guess you could say I heard that song...

27. Every Morning by Sugar Ray. How's THAT for a segue?

26. Father Of Mine by Everclear.

25. Believe by Cher. Now you'll probably have that tune in your head now. I'm sorry.

24. Because of You by 98 Disease Degrees.

23. Back 2 Good by Matchbox 20. 

22. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy). by The Offspring. To this day, I wonder if the kid in the UCLA jersey was a regular caller to Jim Rome's radio show back in the day, because I remember when he did "tour stops" and he made one in Tampa the weekend of the NFC title game the next year there was a guy wearing a UCLA jersey...

21. Big Big World by Emilia.

20. All I Have To Give by Backstreet Boys.

19. From This Moment On by Shania Twain. There's a reason why I utilize Radio and Records as opposed to Billboard, and I may explain it in a later entry.

18. Take Me There by Blackstreet & Mya f/Mase. No, I never watched "Rugrats."

17. Touch It by Monifah. Sounds tempting, but I have to pass; see the above paragraph. 😉

16. It's All Been Done by Barenaked Ladies. If you look at movies that have come out of Hollywood the past ten years or so, it HAS all been done.

15. My Favorite Mistake by Sheryl Crow. Very relatable.

14. I'm Your Angel by R. Kelly and Celine Dion. There's a good reason that the former's name is crossed out. 

13. You Get What You Give by The New Radicals. "Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson." Wow, that's quite the eclectic group there.

12. Inside Out by Eve 6.

11. Lately by Divine. One hit wonder.

10. Miami by Will Smith.

9. Angel by Sarah McLachlan. Hopefully this song doesn't conjure up images of that tear-jerking commercial of pets being mistreated.

8. ...Baby One More Time by Britney Spears. And the rest, is history...







7. (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You by *NSync.

6. Slide by The Goo Goo Dolls. Among the greatest things to hail from western New York, are Buffalo wings, Rob Gronkowski, and the Goo Goo Dolls.

5. Jumper by Third Eye Blind.

4. Have You Ever? by Brandy.

3. Hands by Jewel. A local radio station (I won't say which one) tried to pass this off as a Christmas song one year. Really.







2. Save Tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry.

And the number one song this week 23 years ago was...

1. Lullaby by Shawn Mullins. Talk about catching lightning in a bottle. Had this song and then faded into Bolivia as Mike Tyson once said. 

















Well that's this week's flashback, hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane. My next blog entry will be my 100th. I'll have to come up with something good so I can keep this blog at...💯

Until next time!

CT

No comments:

Post a Comment