Friday, July 8, 2022

Flashback Friday; July 7, 1984

 Hello again everyone. It's been another messed up week around here, more on that in a later entry. For right now, I wanted to solely focus on Flashback Friday. I went over the blog entries I've had earlier this year. In particular, the ones where I did a retro countdown on either Thursday or Friday. I noticed which years I featured and was surprised that I had not done one yet on 1984; quite arguably the best year (in my lifetime at least) in popular music history. So, with that said, here were the Top 40 songs according to Billboard Magazine for the week ending July 7, 1984.

40. Boys Do Fall In Love by Robin Gibb. Yes, we do. But damn is it hard.

39. Prime Time by Alan Parsons Project. I seem to remember another APP song that got heavy airplay on MTV, it wasn't this one, and frankly I don't remember if Q98 (the pop station in Fayetteville, NC back then) played it or not.

38. Farewell My Summer Love by Michael Jackson. Now this song I do remember hearing on said station, but it got NOWHERE near the hype any of the songs from Thriller got.

37. Alibis by Sergio Mendes. Nope, don't remember this one.

36. She's Mine by Steve Perry. Follow up to "Oh, Sherrie." Don't really remember this one either.

35. It's A Miracle by Culture Club

34. Romancing The Stone by Eddy Grant. Loved this song. It came from the motion picture of the same name, too bad it isn't available on Spotify...

33. Stuck On You by Lionel Richie. As I remember, I wasn't a big fan of Lionel going country-ish with this song and "Penny Lover."

32. If You're Ever In My Arms Again by Peabo Bryson

31. Panama by Van Halen. This would unfortunately be the last Top 40 hit for Van Halen with David Lee Roth as lead singer; he would launch a solo career the next year.

30. Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart. Remember "Star Search?" Not the reboot with Arsenio Hall but the original version with th late Ed McMahon? They had a TV spokesmodel category for one of their segments, and I swear every song that accompanies a particular model's photo package was set to either Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" or this song.

29. Sister Christian by Night Ranger. Motoring...what's your price for flight?

28. I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man) by Kenny Loggins. From "Footloose," it harkens back to a time when this country was more religious, and people were gullible enough to trust televangelists. Nowadays, some are still religious, but those folks are gullible enough to watch Fox News.

27. What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner. The song that launched her comeback.

26. Don't Walk Away by Rick Springfield

25. No Way Out by Jefferson Starship. Don't recall this song on the radio either. Their next album, they would drop "Jefferson" from the band's name.

24. I Can Dream About You by Dan Hartman. See #30.

23. Stay The Night by Chicago

22. Modern Day Delilah by Van Stephenson. I believe this is the only Top 40 song in the rock era that has a hairstylist as the song's subject matter.

21. State Of Shock by The Jacksons. Not credited on this chart but Mick Jagger sang vocals on this song. Nowadays, everyone and their cousin gets credit for singing on a track. 

20. Breakin'...there's No Stopping Us by Ollie and Jerry. I never got into the breakdancing fad back in the mid 80's.

19. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr. Who are you gonna call???

18. Oh, Sherrie by Steve Perry. I alluded to this song earlier, his first solo effort. Thankfully the Sherrie isn't spelled with a "Y." I had a sister-in-law that had that name, and you know, I'd rather not talk about her.

17. Sad Songs Say So Much by Elton John. Still a pleasure to listen to this decade as it was almost 40 years ago...

16. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung. Take your baby by the wrist, and in her mouth an amethyst.

15. Borderline by Madonna. I didn't have a crush on her just yet, that would come in the next few years. 











14. Infatuation by Rod Stewart. I can still visualize the model dancing in the bikini in that video. Today, the subject matter of the video is considered cringeworthy though.

13. Doctor! Doctor! by Thompson Twins

12. Magic by The Cars. Another song with a memorable video. I wonder who the twins in it were...I want to think they're someone I would wind up knowing.

11. Let's Hear It For The Boy by Deniece Williams. The ending of this song to me kinda sounded like something that would play on one of those cheesy game shows back then...

10. Legs by ZZ Top. Didn't realize that it charted that high. 

  9. The Heart Of Rock & Roll by Huey Lewis & The News. Too bad when they're giving shoutouts to all those cities, there isn't a mention of any Florida cities. I don't know if they did a localized version for Orlando/Miami/Tampa like they did for Charlotte/Raleigh in North Carolina that G 105 in RDU would play...

  8. Almost Paradise by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson. Love theme from "Footloose."

  7. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper. Follow up to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." The video also featured the late Captain Lou Albano.

  6. Eyes Without A Face by Billy Idol. Another ballad that has withstood the test of time.

  5. The Reflex by Duran Duran. There were two versions of this song, the video version and the version that played on the radio. I liked the radio version better, but the video was still bad-ass.

  4. Self Control by Laura Branigan. I'm not linking this music video, because in my opinion she was practically raped in it. I don't think a video like the one for this song would be anywhere near acceptable today.

  3. Jump (For My Love) by The Pointer Sisters. I want to say that this song was featured during the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics, but I don't remember.

  2. Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen. The song with the video that launched Courtney Cox's career.

 ...and the number one song on this date 38 years ago...

  1. When Doves Cry by Prince. An iconic song by an iconic artist from an iconic (at the time) movie. What more could you ask for?


  










Well, that's all for this early morning. I may be back later today with a summation of another less-than-stellar week overall. Until then...


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment