Saturday, December 3, 2022

Flashback: December 4, 2011

 Hello everyone, not you Kanye West, or Yeezy, or whatever you call yourself nowadays. No, I'm not going to rehash what said person did or said this week with that certifiable lunatic Alex Jones. What I am here to discuss briefly is the top 40 songs on radio eleven short years ago, which would make this the soonest flashback feature I have done to date. Also, has it really been eleven years already? During this time, I had just started a falling out of sorts with my roommate at the time because I went on a rare date with someone who was seen in her eyes as an archnemesis around Thanksgiving weekend because of what she saw from this person on Facebook that I wasn't privy to. Yes, Facebook was a source of problems back then as well. I don't know what happened to her these past seven or so years (I last saw her in 2015), nor do I care for that matter, because she never really could get her stuff together. I think there was two Pop radio stations in Tampa at the time (after years of Tampa Bay's (s)Hit Music Channel 93.3 dominating the market for over a decade), and just before a THIRD (Not 101.5) would arrive, until the one mentioned tried their hand as a 24-hour sports channel before it folded and became irrelevant. But I digress. Here were the top 40 songs (loosely according to Mediabase) for the week of December 4, 2011.

40. Keep Your Head Up by Andy Grammer. Not a bad song, but it didn't get as much run as it should. He would have a bigger hit a few years later before seemingly appearing on a milk carton.

39. Say You Like Me by We The Kings. Okay, you asked Juliet to check yes, now you want her to say that she likes you. What more do you want?

38. Pass At Me by Timbaland f/Pitbull

37. Hangover by Taio Cruz f/FloRida. Undoubtedly inspired by the motion picture. If memory serves me, there's even some guy in the music video cosplaying as Chow.

36. Set fire To The Rain by Adele. Remember the show "Solid Gold" in the 1980's? I could totally see the Solid Gold Dancers do some sort of bizarre interpretive dance routine to this track. Excuse me while I go hurl at that thought...

35. International Love by Pitbull f/Chris Brown. The early 2010's were Pitbull's world and we were just living in it.

34. Wish You Were Here by Avril Lavigne

33. N***** in Paris by Jay-Z & ***** ****. Title censored for obvious reasons. Artist censored for as of this past week, obvious reasons.

32. Tonight Is The Night by Outasight. This song was on WWE programming a lot back in 2012 as their flagship program at the time, "Raw," was approaching 1,000 episodes. Now it's about to hit their thirtieth anniversary. 

31. Mr. Saxobeat by Alexandra Stan. See #40. Got plenty of airtime on 98.7 but not FLZ. Guess it wasn't dancy enough for them.

30. Heartbeat by The Fray

29. You And I by Lady Gaga. I wasn't totally aware of this until I got Spotify, but what exactly was her obsession with Nebraska in this song?

28. I Like It Like That by Hot Chelle Raef/NewBoyz. I remember a song of the same title from the Blackout All-Stars in the 1990's more than I do this song.

27. Workout by J. Cole. 910 in the house!! (He's from Fayetteville, NC)

26. Just A Kiss by Lady Antebellum. I guess they're referred to as Lady A now, but I thought there already was another artist that went by Lady A. No, I have no desire to research this right now. Oh, and it's been seven years for me. Living with sibling sure sucks sometimes.

25. Blackout by Breathe Carolina. The band has nothing to do with the Carolinas as far as I know; they're from Denver.

24. You Da One by Rihanna

23. Domino by Jessie J. I started to have a mini-crush on her when this songwas released.

22. Headlines by Drake. USA lost to Netherlands today 3-1 in Word Cup play, UCF plays Tulane in the American Conference Championship, and Anthony Cirelli returns for the Lightning tonight. Those are today's headlines, right?

21. Not Over You by Gavin DeGraw. Actually, I kinda am...

20. Give Me Everything by Pitbull f/Ne-Yo, Afrojack, and Nayer. "Locked up like Lindsay Lohan" ranks up there as one of my all-time favorite song lyrics.

19. Marry The Night by Lady Gaga. As far as I know, Miss Germanotta is still single. Like I have a chance...







18. Party Rock Anthem by LFMAO f/Lauren Bennet & Goonrock. Honestly, I don't know if it was this song or "Uptown Funk" that ruined modern pop music for me. The next time I hear this song will be too soon, even twenty years from now...if I'm still around then...

17. Fly by Nicki Minaj f/Rihanna

16. Love You Like A Love Song by Selena Gomez & The Scene. Pardon me while I fawn over her...
  

15. It Girl by Jason Derulo. ....OH, I;m sorry. I was still fawning over Selena Gomez, who was definitely an "it girl" in 2012.

14. Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People. Kind of a dark song when you really listen to it...

13. 5 O'Clock by T-Pain f/ Wiz Khalifa. I joked earlier on Twitter today about the US World Cup game being played at (Mia) Khalifa International Stadium. I could have used Wiz Khalifa International Stadium, but Belgium and Germany failed to reach the knockout stage (their flags have black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow)

12. In The Dark by Dev. Where I usually do most of my writing; in the dark.

11. Mr. Know It All by Kelly Clarkson. No, I don't think she was referring to Bullwinkle Moose.















10. Good Feeling by FloRida. Interesting to note that both this song and "Levels" by the late Avicii both used Etta James' "Something's Got A Hold On Me." In fact, FloRida credited Avicii with this song, which both came out around the same time.
 
  9. You Make Me Feel...by Cobra Starship f/Sabi. When this first came out, I thought they were singing "you make me feel bad (la la la la la), instead it's "you make me feel so (la la la la la).

  8. Someone Like You by Adele. Like I said in a previous blog, I'm a unicorn. So, I'm a rare find.

  7. It Will Rain by Bruno Mars. Actually Bruno, we're in our dry season here in Florida.

  6. Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 f/Christina Aguilera. Don't ask me why, but whenever the chorus of this song hit, I had visions of chimpanzees with their mouths agape and their arms raised jamming to it. 

  5. The One That Got Away by Katy Perry. I want to think that I am. Too bad petty politics (and an overbearing sibling) came between us.

  4. Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes f/Adam Levine

  3. Sexy and I Know It by LMFAO. If it weren't for "Party Rock Anthem," this would not have been a hit.

  2. Without You by David Guetta f/Usher

and the number one song this week eleven years ago was...

  1. We Found Love by Rihanna f/Calvin Harris. Well, I'm kind of in a hopeless place right now, so come after me...wait, a minute, am I sure I didn't mean hapless place? (J/K)

And folks that's this week's flashback segment. I'll have more for you later on this weekend. In the meantime, enjoy your Saturday.



BS

No comments:

Post a Comment