Friday, August 19, 2022

Loose Ends, Deep Thoughts, And A Flashback

   Hello once again everyone. I was going to try to get this in a little earlier today, but my blood sugar was so low (almost 50), that I nearly crashed this morning. But I feel better now, so I can try to try to get this in before tonight's episode of Smackdown. Yes, in case you didn't know, I am a wrestling fan Speaking of 50, one of my oldest friends turns 50 today, but that's another story. Happy birthday!

Some loose ends to tie up first off. Remember last week when I was playing a game that was about to somehow miraculous pay me $150? Well, just as I suspected, it was too good to be true. At a measly 11 cents away from the cash out, the level bonuses suddenly stopped altogether. See, I TOLD you those games are fake AF! They promise to pay you until it's time to put their money where their mouths are, then suddenly they're crying poormouth. Ridiculous.









Also, this week I have fallen yet again into the TikTok rabbit hole, and there's been a new trend that's really been taking off. It's a bunch of GenXers showing old photos from their teenage years set to a sped-up version of Wheatus' 2000 hit single (although not in the US), "Teenage Dirtbag." It was so popular, I even jumped on board with the trend. Also, on the Tok, I listened to several stories about the wrestling industry, a poignant (and unfortunately true) video about Victoria's Secret, and a rather hilarious Rick Astley update. I also may have found out why during last week's full moon (as well as the days leading up to it), I felt as if I was losing control and going crazy. The full moon just happened to rise with Aquarius, which is my zodiac sign and man did I feel it. I don't take too much stock into astrology because nine times out of ten, most of it is jibber jabber anyway, but it was an energy I haven't felt in a long, long time that wasn't necessarily good but was probably needed, for things have started to look up this past week. Much like a similar situation twelve years ago, which also just so happened to be a tiger year, and I wound up nearly falling for someone. So, stay tuned...

On Wednesday though, I wasn't feeling all that great mentally as I had a doctor's visit at the Port Richey VA clinic, and on the way there, I thought of the numerous times where I would find myself driving (usually to work) and become so overcome with my depressed thoughts that I would have the urge (although I never did it) to weave my car off the side of the road and into a tree. Thankfully, I erased those thoughts once I got to the clinic, and I had a good visit.

Like I alluded to earlier, my viewing of TikTok has gotten me on a nostalgia trip of sorts (which is what I usually do on here anyway), but it has given me a whole new appreciation for it. That said, I rolled my 20-sided dice (no, I don't play Dungeons & Dragons) and actually rolled a 20. So therefore, this week we're going back to the year 1999. Arguably the BEST year for pop music during what was a very interesting decade. Here now were the Top 40 songs (per Radio & Records Magazine) fromm August 20, 1999:

40. Meet Virginia by Train. Their debut effort, and interestingly enough in 2010, the year I mentioned earlier, they would also have a big hit with "Hey Soul Sister."

39. My Own Worst Enemy by Lit. Much like the previous song, a very solid debut effort. Unfortunately for them, they didn't have the success as Train had.

38. You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins. From the Disney movie "Tarzan." As far as I know, this would be Collins' last chart hit.

37. So Pure by Alanis Morissette

36. What's My Age Again? by Blink-182. Yet another debut effort that would become an iconic song for the 2000s. I was 26 at the time so I was three years past the point where nobody liked me...I think.

35. Almost Doesn't Count by Brandy. Unless you're talking horseshoes or hand grenades, then it doesn't.

34. Music Of My Heart by *N Sync f/Gloria Estefan

33. I Love You Came Too Late by Joey McIntyre. Can definitely relate to this track.

32. Tell Me It's Real by K-Ci and JoJo

31. There She Goes by Sixpence None The Richer. This cover was a solid follow up to their #1 smash, "Kiss Me."

30. Bills, Bills, Bills by Destiny's Child. Reminds me of the one "ex" I had. Ugh.

29. Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Loved this song

28. Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin. I'll never forget one driving around Clearwater one night and Kane (the then-nighttime host on WFLZ radio) played this song for like thirty minutes straight. It was hilarious after a while.

27. Smooth by Santana f/Rob Thomas. Arguably the most overplayed song of 2000.

26. Steal My Sunshine by Len

25. La Copa De La Vida by Ricky Martin. Remember the now defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny MLS team? This song would come on whenever the team aired a commercial to hype up their next match, which almost nobody attended. By the way, I have a somewhat hilarious story involving some fans at a Mutiny game from back around that time frame that I'll get into on a future entry.

24. Wild, Wild West by Will Smith. And we'll be sure to keep your wife's name out of our bleeping mouths. We don't want to have the shit slapped out of us.

23. Where My Girls At? by 702. Speaking of WFLZ radio, they seemed to always play this song coming out of commercial break.

22. It's Not Right, But It's Okay by Whitney Houston. Kinda like giving a pretty necklace for someone only to have that someone turn around and go with someone else the very next day...

21. Beautiful Stranger by Madonna

20. I could Not Ask For More by Edwin McCain

19. She's All I Ever Had by Ricky Martin

18. Summer Girls by LFO. I've yet to meet a girl from Abercrombie and Fitch.

17. Smile by Vitamin C f/Lady Saw. Lady Saw would make another guest appearance one year later on No Doubt's "Underneath It All"

16. Black Balloon by The Goo Goo Dolls. Probably my favorite track from that band.

15. I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan. Sarah McLachlan is known for two things. The first are those tear-jerking animal commercials. The second is the Lillith Fair, which is something I felt C. Montgomery Burns would ask Smithers to take him to.

14. Unpretty by TLC. Their last monster hit before Left Eye's tragic, untimely death the next year in an automobile crash in Costa Rica.

13. Sometimes by Brintney Spears. I still maintain that certain radio personalities' bad-mouthing of Spears helped contribute to her current mental state. Not naming names but think about where I live and who's popular here from a radio standpoint.

12. Better Days (And The Bottom Drops Out) by Citizen King

11. (Hey Leonardo) She Likes Me For Me. No dude, she likes you because you have more money than God and have extremely good looks and/or charisma. Sorry if my cynicism spilled out there.

10. I Do (Cherish You) by 98 Degrees

  9. Out Of My Head by Fastball

  8. She's So High by Tal Bachman. Yes, she is high indeed 😉

  7. Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias. Absolutely loved this song.

  6. I Want It That Way by The Backstreet Boys. Yeah, well I want it that way too. I've waitd long enough dangit!

  5. Someday by Sugar Ray. And there's the answer to the question I had in the previous song.

  4. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam. Last kiss? How about a first kiss? That would be awesome!

  3. If You Had My Love by Jennifer Lopez. Now that Ben Affleck has won back J-Lo's love, dare I ask if we'll get a "Gigli" reboot?

  2. Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera. Wish I could rub her the right way...

...and the number 1 song this week 22 years ago was...

  1. All Star by Smash Mouth











Sorry, but I had this entry interrupted by dinner, but at least I got it done before the start of "Smackdown." I hope to have more this weekend for you. Until next time...


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment