Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Flashback: August 16, 1985

 Greetings again everyone. I completely missed yesterday in part because of something personal I'd rather not get into at this moment. Let's just say for a period of time, my mind wandered into a very, very dark place, one that I rarely get into and one that I don't really want to revisit. There may be a select few that I wish to talk about what happened, but I will say that afterwards, my heartbeat was racing, my breathing was elevated, and I was trembling all over. Fortunately, I calmed down enough and wound up sleeping for the majority of the day. It was THAT bad. Being an emotional wreck because of past trauma really has its downfalls sometimes. Anyway...

This morning I thought I would do my flashback that I have neglected to do the past couple of weeks. After falling into the TikTok rabbit hole and seeing what I've seen trending on there, I thought I would take a trip to the year 1985. Nothing really significant really happened that year other than I contracted chicken pox from my cousin in North Carolina that wiped out my 11th birthday. Ugh...Anyway, these were the Top 40 songs according to Radio & Records magazine for the week ending August 9, 1985:

40. No Looking Back by Michael McDonald

39. Cry by Godley & Creme. This is one of the very few 80s songs I totally despise. I think I saw the music video once on "American Bandstand," and it was a bunch of people shedding waterworks in front of a camera. On a personal note, I've shed my share of tears the past month, but that's neither here nor there. 

38. There Must Be An Angel by The Eurythmics

37. Raspberry Beret by Prince. The kind you find in a secondhand store.

36. Do You Want Crying by Katrina & The Waves. Actually, given the song at #39, no.

35. A View To A Kill by Duran Duran. From the James Bond movie of the same name. I think it was the last Bond movie that Roger Moore made, give me a second to research it. Turns out it was.

34. When Your Heart Is Weak by Cock Robin

33. Dress You Up by Madonna. Have I ever told you how much I owe my puberty as well as my sexual orientation to just how fricking hot I thought Madonna was? Oh! Today is her birthday. Happy Birthday Madonna!!











32. Live Every Moment by REO Speedwagon

31. Shame by The Motels

30. Sentimental Street by Night Ranger

29. You Give Good Love by Whitney Houston her debut track, and the first of many. I still think she was taken away from us too soon. Despite all her demons.

28. Get It On (Bang A Gong) by The Power Station. Better than the original version by T-Rex in the mid-70s.

27. Smokin' In The Boys Room by Motley Crue.  First top 40 hit for them, and another example of it being better than the original, this one from Brownsville Station.

26. Dare Me by The Pointer Sisters. And don't forget that coming up, we'll have a dead dog dedication for you. Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

25. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits. I don't think you'll ever hear the unedited version of this song again. IYKYK...

24. State Of The Heart by Rick Springfield

23. People Are People by Depeche Mode. I legit don't think I heard this song until I had moved to Orlando...in 1991.

22. Mystery Lady by Billy Ocean

21. Life In One Day by Howard Jones. I don't think that's possible tbh.

20. Rock Me Tonite (For Old Time's Sake) by Freddie Jackson.

19. Cherish by Kool & The Gang

18. Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen. I think my glory days are still yet to happen.

17. Invincible by Pat Benatar. Now I have that meme that YTMND used to have that used this song on my brain.

16. Freedom by Wham! Another song called from the late George Michael called "Freedom" was renamed to "Freedom '90" to avoid confusion. 

15. Pop Life by Prince

14. What About Love by Heart. I think the song by Howard Jones ("What Is Love/") is more like the question I should be asking.

13. You Spin Me Round by Dead Oe Alive. Speaking of ytmnd, there was another meme that was set to this song. No, I won't go into detail of what that meme consisted of.

12. You're Only Human by Billy Joel

11. Don't Lose My Number by Phil Collins. I'm used to people losing my number, or at least not remembering it...

10. Everytime You Go Away by Paul Young

  9. Who's Holding Donna Now by DeBarge. I used to have a crush on someone named Donna, until she turned out to be one of those holy-rolling evangelicals, so I couldn't care less about who's holding Donna now.

  8. If You Love Somebody, Set Them Free by Sting. Advice I could use tbh...

  7. We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner. Actually Tina, we could use a few more these days.

  6. Freeway Of Love by Aretha Franklin

  5. Summer Of '69 by Bryan Adams. I'm still looking for mine.

  4. St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) by John Parr. After this song, Parr faded into oblivion, didn't he?

  3. Never Surrender by Corey Hart. I don't plan on doing so, Corey.

  2. The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis and The News. I think this came from "Back To The Future." Jeez Doc, that's heavy.

and the number one song on August 9, 1985 was...

  1. Shout by Tears For Fears











let it all out, these are the things I can do without, come on!


By the way, the song that inspired this flashback would debut next week, "Take On Me" by a-ha. Unfortunately, when I started writing this blog, by 1985 charts page on my Microsoft Office list was turned to the week before and I was already five songs in, so instead of starting completely over, I remained on August 9. However, here's one of my all-time favorite GIFs that was set to that song:








And that's your flashback for this (last) week. Hopefully, I'll come back with anotherr one later this week. Until next time, be well and have a great Tuesday.


CT 

No comments:

Post a Comment