Friday, June 24, 2022

This Sucks.../Flashback Friday

 Hello everyone, except you, SCOTUS. Yes, we are now living in a real-life simulation of "The Handmaid's Tale", which I haven't yet seen but now I may see since I have hulu. I thought the ending to Wednesday night's Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final sucked (yes, Colorado had too many men before Nazim Kadri's game-winning goal), but this sucks worse.







Twitter all day has been angry over the decision, not just the usual suspects on the left, either. Boris Johnson (the UK Prime Minister) even thinks this is a bad idea. So does the Walt Disney Company. I may be currently estranged from my 23-year old daughter, but my heart breaks for her that her reproductive rights are being infringed on. Too bad she wasn't old enough in 2016  to vote for Hillary, whether or not it made a difference in the grand scheme (key word being "scheme") of things is uncertain, but we wouldn't have come to this point in time had it not happened. Thanks a lot, MAGA 😡.

I'm upset of course about it. I remember writing an essay in eighth grade in Mrs. Gillespie's social studies class about what the Constitution meant to me in 1987, which was then the 200th birthday of the document. I still remember the first line of that essay: "what the Constitution means to me is freedom." I barely remember what I wrote in the rest of that essay (it's been nearly 35 years). But what I did write left quite an impression on her and my parents. I'm starting to think these days, especially here in Florida, that the freedom I talked about back in '87 is more like "free-dumb." The radical right wants us to be a theocracy, the radical left wants to push every agenda under the sun in our face. And, no, the media is not helping. If anything, it's drawing us as a nation further and further apart. I think I ranted about the media in an earlier post this year, but remember when CNN was just news? Good times. Then they had to launch "Crossfire," and things went considerably downhill from there. You know who was on that program? Tucker Carlson, arguably the most divisive personality in the "media" today. George Carlin was right, "f**k Tucker." Anyway, this straight white man is very unhappy with today's decision. Maybe I'll have to schedule a snip job soon.

Now that that rant is out of the way, allow me to rant about something else: the fact that nobody seems to notice me lately. I have been trying to correspond with my current love interest this week, but to no avail. Like the Genesis track from over 40 years ago, sang, "there's no reply at all." As a person who's waited for nearly three decades to finally have a possible chance at a meaningful relationship, this lack of communication hurts me greatly. At least tell me SOMETHING so I'm not left in the dark. Then on top of that, earlier today I pointed out something on someone else's Twitter thread, only to be blocked. Jiminy Frigging Christmas, is there a smear campaign out on me that I'm not aware about? Have I become THAT unliked all of a sudden? Would it please you guys if I just went up and offed myself? Would that make you guys happy? That's what I feel like right now. By the way, for those that want that to happen, too damn bad; I plan on being here for at least a little while longer.

I think I'll save my bus (mis)adventure for another time, as I may take it tomorrow. So in the meantime, let's do the weekly Flashback Friday feature (which I missed last week). This week we're going back to the summer between my freshman and sophomore years, about the time where my life peaked, sadly. Here were the top 40 songs according to Radio & Records Magazine for June 23, 1989:

40. Hooked On You by Sweet Sensation

39. The End Of The Innocence by Don Henley

38. Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul. Happy 60th birthday to her, by the way.

37. No More Rhyme by Debbie Gibson

36. Rock On by Michael Damian. Great song that isn't available on Spotify for some reason,

35. Veronica by Elvis Costello

34. Forever Your Girl by Paula Abdul. Still waiting...

33. Secret Rendezvous by Karyn White

32. Once Bitten Twice Shy by Great White. Wonder what happened to that band after that fatal nightclub fire in Rhode Island all those years ago.

31. Hey Baby by Henry Lee Summer

30. My Brave Face by Sir Paul McCartney. He also celebrated a birthday not long ago. Happy 80th to him!

29. Be With You by The Bangles. Very underrated song from them, and the last song that charted for them.

28. Send Me An Angel '89 by Real Life I guess this group figured their remake of their 1984 song would do better in 1989. It did, but barely.

27. Down Boys by Warrant

26. Dressed For Success by Roxette

25. Cry by Waterfront

24. On Our Own by Bobby Brown. From the "Ghostbusters II" soundtrack.

23. I Like It by Dino

22. Every Little Step by Bobby Brown. Oh yes...

21. Who Do You Give Your Love To? by Michael Morales

20. Batdance by Prince. The movie "Batman' starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson was released this week in 1989...

19. Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler. I'll now pause for those of you who may feel nauseous from this song.........Y'all good? Ok.

18. Rooms On Fire by Stevie Nicks. She just performed at Bonaroo last weekend.

17. Crazy About Her by Rod Stewart

16. I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty. Now a tradition to sing along to this song every Saturday afternoon during the fall in Gainesville. Go Gators.

15. Lay Your Hands On Me by Bon Jovi

14. The Doctor by The Doobie Brothers

13. So Alive by Love And Rockets

12. What You Don't Know by Expose. Excuse me while I fawn over them for a quick second:











11. This Time I Know It's For Real by Donna Summer. Her last top 10 hit, and I wonder to this day why all the dancers in the music video did nothing but the running man dance...

10. I Miss You Like Crazy by Natalie Cole

  9. I Drove All Night by Cyndi Lauper. I actually did that one time to see someone. Didn't work outat the time; she was broken. Now she's a MAGAhead, yuck,

  8. Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry

  7. I'll Be Loving You (Forever) by New Kids On The Block. Another pause here for some readers to walk away from their computer or mobile device to hurl again...

  6. Toy Soldiers by Martika

  5. Express Yourself by Madonna. I had several crushes back in 1989, but she was the main one. These days she's trying too hard to stay relevant. Someone please get her some pudding and tell her she's late for her nap.

  4. If You Don't Know Me By Now by Simply Red

  3. Baby, Don't Forget My Number by Phony Baloney Milli Vanilli

  2. Good Thing by Fine Young Cannibals

...and the number one song this week 33 years ago was...

  1. Satisfied by Richard Marx












That's all I have for today, a very trying day to be honest. Thanks for hanging in and reading my rants for today. I might have more coming tomorrow, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise as a great man once said. Until next time...


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment