Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Tattle-Tellonym/Special Anniversary Flashback/Other Random Thoughts

 Hello again everyone. Hope everyone had an exceptional weekend and a good Monday, except for Ron DeSantis. This weekend for me was somewhat uneventful (except for Sunday's Lightning comeback win), but it was noteworthy of sorts; more on that later.

I first wanted to write about something a Twitter friend turned my attention to the other week, and that's Tellonym. Tellonym is an app that allows you to ask and answer questions anonymously, and it's fun to use. In fact, I've used it to answer questions so that people can get to know me better, that's my understanding at least. Anyway, here is the link, that you can find me there, and see what questions I've answered.

Last weekend marked the thirty-year anniversary of my high school graduation from Apopka High School. June 5, 1992. I didn't get a chance to really say goodbye, or see you later to my classmates, as I was whisked away back to my house (thanks, Dad), but I understand that in July, the 30th reunion is taking place. I want to go, but since I have no transportation, I may be up shit's creek without a paddle. Dammit. Anyway, since it's been thirty years, why don't we look back at the Radio & Records top 40 songs for that week?

40. Never Satisfied by Good 2 Go

39. Come And Talk To Me by Jodeci. first of many hits for the Charlotte, NC outfit.

38. Strawberry Letter 23 by Tevin Campbell

37. All You've Got by RTZ

36. Will You Marry Me by Paula Abdul. At the time, yes. Nowadays, not so much.

35. Take This Heart by Richard Marx. Remember the video for this song? It was him dreaming of his hometown Chicago Cubs winning the World Series against the Oakland A's. Too bad he had to wait another 24 years for that to actually happen.

34. Silent Prayer by Shanice

33. One by U2. I sort of fell in love with this song, even though it was about a breakup.

32. Fall In Love Again by Eddie Money. This would be his final top-40 hit.

31. Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven by Bryan Adams. Still don't know the purpose of the dolphins were in that video.

30. Why by Annie Lennox. I still ask that every day, Tawny.

29. Let's Get Rocked by Def Leppard

28. Tennessee by Arrested Development. A game of HORSESHOES!!

27. Innocent Child by Colorhaus

26. Anything At All by Mitch Malloy

25. Just For Tonight by Vanessa Williams

24. Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-a-Lot. My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun... 

23. Closer To Me by The Outfield. Reminds me of a baseball play, "bases loaded for the Rays with nobody out, Aaron Boone has his infield in... By the way, the Yankees were terrible in 1992. Wish we could go back to those days.

22. Not The Only One by Bonnie Raitt

21. Wishing On A Star by The Cover Girls

20. Live And Learn by Joe Public

19. Life Is A Highway by Tom Cochrane. This song still bangs to this day.

18. Slow Motion by Color Me Badd

17. Steel Bars by Michael Bolton. underrated song IMO

16. TLC by Linear

15. You Won't See Me Cry by Wilson Phillips

14. Do It To Me by Lionel Richie

13. Lift Me Up by Howard Jones. About a year ago, I queried to my childhood friend whether a song of his from 1989 was his last hit. Turns out, it was this one.

12. Just Another Day by Jon Secada. Another song I fell in love with.

11. The Best Things In Life Are Free by Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson. Featured on the soundtrack to the movie "Mo' Money"

10. Jump Jump by Kriss Kross

  9. I Will Remember You by Amy Grant

  8. Just Take My Heart by Mr. Big

  7. My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) by En Vogue. Oh really???

  6. Hold On My Heart by Genesis

  5. If You Asked Me To by Celine Dion. First off, why would I? Second, you'd say no anyway.

  4. Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover by Sophis B. Hawkins. The ORIGINAL video for this song was HOT. Red hair, kissing, Sophie wrapped in nothing but a bedsheet. Then she came out on "Donohue" from what I remember, changed up the video to something more pedestrian, and almost ruined my boner for the entire summer.

  3. I'll Be There by Mariah Carey. Have I ever told you that I despised "Unplugged?" Maybe I should blame MTV for making the musicscene in the early 1990's lame.

  2. In The Closet by Michael Jackson. I'd like to tell him that it's pride month now, but unfortunately, he's dead now. RIP.

...and the number one song on June 5, 1992 was...

  1. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Okay, here's my issue with this song being #1 on my graduation date, it's about being homeless in Los Angeles. Talk about a Debbie Downer for a song. Beautiful, nonetheless, unlike Debbie (womp, womp).








And now, some random thoughts:

I already alluded to Governor Shitforbrains vetoing the training facility for the Tampa Bay Rays, because they (and the New York Yankees) decided to forgo game coverage on social media to turn our collective attention to the alarmingly growing gun-violence epidemic. Well mother nature kinda gave him the middle finger of sorts last week; follow me here. Hurricane Agatha (all along) wreaked serious havoc along the Mexican Pacific coast. The storm system then fizzled into a low pressure system that caused considerable flooding in the Miami area before respawning as Tropical Storm Alex. So in essence, that storm system has gender reassignment surgery over Florida, which I'm sure would be something that would leave DeSatan triggered.









Congratulations to the Colorado Avalanche (or as a former sports radio host in the Tampa area once called them, the Avalons 😑) on winning the NHL's Western Conference last night. They now go to the Stanley Cup Final against either the two-time defending champion Lightning or the New York Rangers.
While I'm on the subject of hockey, what the hell were the Boston Bruins in firing Bruce Cassidy as head coach? I might not like the Bruins much, but I don't think it was a prudent nor wise decision. Yes, I get that coaching tenures can be a fickle thing, but the man led you to a Cup Final just three years ago, and Boston's a perennial Cup contender, but come ON...

Stupid comment I heard from my very own sister the other week after I told her that there is no cure for depression: "YeS, tHeRe Is!" Uh, no. It can be managed or regulated by medication (like fluoxetine), but there is no cure. You can't just say "in the name of the Lord, I HEAL you!" like some televangelist like Kenneth Copeland or Earnest Angely and all of a sudden you depression magically goes away. It's about as ludicrous and absurd as someone "praying the gay away" for someone who is homosexual, pansexual, bisexual, etc. On a side note, Happy Pride Month to everyone, including you Jalen Beeks. 🌈

Seriously, when is it going to end? As I mentioned a couple of paragraphs ago, the United States has a serious gun-violence epidemic. How bad?  There were more than a dozen mass shootings over Memorial Day weekend, and another rash of shootings occurred just this past weekend. It isn't just the US, either. Sunday in Nigeria, a church was savagely attacked with gunfire, killing at least 50. Now over there, Nigeria has an issue with Boko Haram terrorists and political instability. Over here, the political climate is somewhat more stable (I think), but we have our share of armed terrorists, even if they don't belong to a particular group. In New York, Governor Kathy Hochul signed legislation yesterday to strengthen gun laws and protect New Yorkers, most notably raising the age to buy guns from 18 to 21. I think more can be done nationwide, but at least it's a start.

Cody Rhodes is tougher than anyone thought.

Dr. Beach has named the best beach in America, and it isn't in Florida. It's in North Carolina. One more reason why I may wind up relocating very soon.

That's all from me for now. Have a splendid Tuesday, and eat plenty of tacos!


CT


No comments:

Post a Comment