Thursday, December 16, 2021

TBT: December 20, 2002

 Greetings once again, it's Thursday, and you know what that means. It's time for me to enter the time machine to a year in the past and go over the Top 40 hits on this date. For this week, we're actually staying in this century; to 2002 as a matter of fact. So, without further delay, here were the Top 40 from December 20, 2002 according to Mediabase 24/7 (as then published in Radio & Records magazine):

40. Landslide by The Dixie Chicks. According to MB24/7, this was their only chart hit, and if memory serves me correct, the sorry excuse of a pop station in Tampa wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot pole. Probably because it was from a primarily country act. I think there were other factors involved as well...

39. Heaven (Candlelight Mix) by DJ Sammy and Yanou featuring Do. I don't understand the need to release this as a standalone single when their previous up-tempo remix of said song was immensely popular.

38. Girl Talk by TLC. This was the first single they released following the tragic death of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes. They had one hit after this and faded into oblivion. 

37. Pretty Baby by Vanessa Carlton. Follow up to "A Thousand Miles," but mostly forgotten in time.

36. Po' Folks by Nappy Roots. 

35. Don't Know Why by Norah Jones.

34. Dirrty by Christina Aguilera. I never liked this song; I think it was because of the unnecessary dog barking during the rap portion. Too much going on...

33. All I Have by Jennifer Lopez with LL Cool J. I'll have more on J-Lo a little later on.

32. All The Things She Said by T.A.T.U. I believe this was the first (and to this date) only musical act from Russia to crack the Top 40, and that was before we came to know Vladdy P. as a royal asshole strongman dictator who would and could do everything to be in power. As a Russian would say, "yebanirote."

31. Something by Lasgo.

30. Bump, Bump, Bump by B2K. P. Diddy created this group as the new millennium's version as Boyz II Men, but they didn't last unfortunately. I didn't know Omarion was in this group; he would have a couple of hits in the years that followed.

29. Come Into My World by Kylie Minogue. Excuse me while I drool for a few moments...











28. Through The Rain by Mariah Carey. Did you know, Mariah has a deal with McDonald's now? Yes, you can get your own Mariah menu at McDonald's now. No, the "All I Want For Christmas Is You" CD isn't included with it.

27. Gimme The Light by Sean Paul. His first chart hit.

26. Spin by Lifehouse.

25. Disease by Matchbox 20.

24. If I Could Go by Angie Martinez.

23. Picture by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow.  I never did care for Kid Rock. What he was doing with Sheryl Crow I'll never know.

22. '03 Bonnie and Clyde by Jay-Z f/Beyonce.

21. Die Another Day by Madonna. Yes, Madonna did a James Bond theme.

20. Your Body Is A Wonderland by John Mayer. Back in the day, the local sports talk radio station would use a shotgun sound effect to cut off a particular song from continuing coming out of commercial break. If I had a career in sports talk radio instead of the Postal Service at the time, this would have been one of those songs.

19. One Last Breath by Creed. Tallahassee's own, back when FSU still had Bobby as head football coach, and Jenn Sterger shot to popularity. Now, it's just known for the Glitter Bros and mediocre football.

18. Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous by Good Charlotte. Awesome song, threw much shade at Orenthal and Marion Berry.

17. These Are The Days by O-Town. As the name implies, they were yet another boy band from Orlando, created by a reality show that aired on ABC television. No, I didn't watch it.

16. Like I Love You by Justin Timberlake. Speaking of Orlando-based boy bands, this was the former *NSYNC member's maiden solo hit.

15. Sk8er Boi by Avril Lavigne. One of my all-time favorite songs, can I make it anymore obvious?

14. Air Force Ones by Nelly

13. Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake. Remember that pop station I talked about earlier? Well, one particular DJ didn't like the end of this song. He would later be fired from sad station for talking about the kid of the AM drive host. Karma.

12. Hey Ma by Cam'ron. Fun fact, I didn't know that "dome" was code for...I'd rather not say on this blog...until this song was released.

11. Stole by Kelly Rowland.

10. I'm With You by Avril Lavigne.

9. The Game Of Love by Michelle Branch.

8. Don't Mess With My Man by Nivea. The skincare brand is still around, as well as the singer (whose real name is Nivea Hamilton).

7. She Hates Me by Puddle Of Mudd. Pretty much sums up my relations with schoolteachers in Orange County. 😁

6. Family Portrait by P!nk. Song kinda reminds me of my family, especially after yesterday.

5. Underneath It All by No Doubt. 

4. Work It by Missy Elliott. Iconic song by an iconic artist with an iconic video. Now isn't that iconic, Alanis?

3. Beautiful by Christina Aguilera.

2. Jenny From The Block by Jennifer Lopez. This song played a part in of the more infamous moments in the history of cable news, one I happened to catch live.

...and the number one song on December 20, 2002 was...

1. Lose Yourself by Eminem. I wish I had seen this movie. I guess I could (should) stream it sometime












And that's this week's throwback. There won't be a tbt for the Holiday, but I might have another entry later today.

More to Come


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment