Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Christmas Songs I Try To Avoid

Hello again, everyone. Being that we are now knee-deep into the Holiday season, many people have taken to hearing seasonal music on whatever listening devices that one would choose; not me though. I don't listen to Christmas music. I tried to this year by turning the station on my TV to the MusicChoice Sounds of the Season channel; I immediately turned it off when Pentatonix was the artist playing. Hard pass. 

This isn't the only time I've turned off my television or radio at the sound of a particular artist/song either. One classic example would be a song from Bizarre Inc. that charted in 1993 called "I'm Gonna Get You." It just reminds me of something a house DJ at a sporting event would play when the home team is losing, and the game is out of reach. But that's another story. My focus for this blog is about Christmas music.

There is one particular song that I avoid like the plague around this time of year, "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." I mean, why the heck is this even a holiday standard? Yes, I get that it's whimsical and sort of funny (I mean if dark humor is your thing), but Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas" it isn't. On a personal note, I have gone 20 of the last 21 Holiday seasons without having to hear it (thank God), and II never have to hear it for the rest of my life, I would be more than OK with it. Better yet if the sing were deleted forever. 












Another song I try to avoid is of course, "All I Want for Christmas Is You." I explained in a previous post how I used to have fantasies about Mariah come Christmastime, nowadays it's everywhere and you can't avoid it unless you intentionally don't subject yourself to holiday music. 

(Phone rings) Hang on, for some reason I'm getting a phone call in the middle of me writing. (picks up phone) Hello?
All I want for Christmas is youuuuu!! (Hangs up phone) See, I told you that it can't be avoided.

Last song I try to avoid has its own term now, Whamageddon. It is of course "Last Christmas" by Wham! I actually kind of like this song, but after a while it gets rather depressing, and knowing how the holidays can be a sad time for a lot of people, I think it's one song that one could go without. Especially after a bad breakup (aren't they all bad?) or a lost relationship when all you can think...you know, let's not go there.

There ARE some Christmas songs that some people dislike that I enjoy. One of these is Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad." Another is Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas." I enjoyed it since I first heard it as a little kid, primarily for the "wo-hoo-ah-hoo-hoo!" sung in the background. There is one knockoff version of the song that was done by some morning zoo radio DJ (I suppose) that tried (badly) to sing it in the voice of Porky Pig. I don't enjoy that ver(buh-bee-duh) ver(buh-bee-duh) rendition at all.

Anyway, I don't normally listen to Christmas music to begin with...until maybe the week before.

More to come...












CT

No comments:

Post a Comment