Friday, February 23, 2024

Flashback: February 25, 1994

 Good morning, everyone. I wanted to start off with a tweet (yes, I still call them that, Squealon Muskrat) from someone I follow closely on Twitter, Dani Leigh, who is best known as a wrestling fan and her thoughts on that industry. Well, in this tweet, she began, "I know today's society looks down on venting, but I'm a big proponent of it." First off, I agree with Dani whole-heartedly on venting. Heck, some entries on this blog are just me venting; I guess it's a family tradition of ours. If anyone knows anything about the Tyner family, they will know that we can have a good vent or two every once in a while. I guess it came from my grandfather (who passed before I was born), who passed it on down to his children, most notably my father, my uncle DH, and my aunt Sadie. They of course, passed it down to my generation. While we don't rant and rave about every little thing imaginable, because that would be rather ungrateful, we do have opinions that we aren't afraid to share, and if you're an avid reader of this blog, you know that. Secondly, and I think I may have inadvertently answered this already in the last sentence, who said that venting was frowned upon? 








(from MTSsalestraining.com)


Anyway, I thought I would throw in a few rants here and there with today's flashback. This week, we're going to 1994, when I was miserable in Charleston, SC hoping to pass my nuclear prototype training. I'm utilizing the Radio & Records chart for this flashback. Here were the top 40 songs for February 25, 1994.

40. Bump N' Grind by R. Kelly. Continuing with my rant from the last flashback I did, not only did the "pop" station refused to play this song, but the urban station in town played a smoothed out slow jams version of it. I just couldn't win in this decade.

39. And Our Feelings by Babyface. Nope. Didn't hear this one in Charleston either. What feelings were Babyface talking about anyway, crippling depression? (Of course not.)

38. Gin And Juice by Snoop (Doggy) Dogg. Similar to #40, the urban station in Charleston played a totally different version. Damn, Charleston sucked!

37. Come To My Window by Melissa Etheridge

36. Miss You In A Heartbeat by Def Leppard. One thing about the 90's I disliked was the pivot musically to a more acoustic sound. Thanks, MTV. Maybe the reason you're an irrelevant network nowadays is karma from the times you forced fed "Unplugged" down out throats.

35. Ain't Seen Love Like That by Mr. Big. If I may speak like someone from Robeson County, North Carolina for a moment, "ain't remember no song like that there, y'all." Which reminds me, I don't think any radio station in Charleston at that time aired either neither "American Top 40" nor "Casey's Top 40"; I think the nearest station that did was all the way in Myrtle Beach, which was a bit too far to pick up cleanly on my radio.

34. Baby, I Love Your Way by Big Mountain. A mere five years and change beforehand, dance group Will To Power remade this as part of a medley along with "Freebird." They really don't do a lot of remakes anymore, then again, I stopped listening to modern music about seven years ago.

33. Getto Jam by Domino. Didn't hear this one until some years later.

32. Queen Of The Night by Whitney Houston. Talk about staying power, this song came from the soundtrack to the movie "Bodyguard," which was nearly two years old.

31. Since I Don't Have You by Guns 'N' Roses. This was GnR's last chart hit, and as someone who wasn't a big GnR fan, good riddance.

30. Linger by The Cranberries. The Irish group's breakout hit.

29. Having A Party by Rod Stewart. See my note after #36 for my thoughts on this one.

28. Streets Of Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen. From the movie "Philadelphia," this one was a favorite of mine, and I can still see the lines of people outside of Pat's and Geno's from eight years ago to this very day.

27. Shoop by Salt N Pepa

26. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows

25. Will You Be There In The Morning by Heart. Let me go ahead and answer that question, probably not. I'll get into why later.

24. Cry For You by Jodeci. No, I don't do that anymore. In fact, there's another song from later in 1994 named "Can't Cry Anymore" by Sheryl Crow. But that's not the reason I don't do that as you will see later.

23. Cannonball by The Breeders. I don't think the bass line to this song gets talked about enough in my opinion.

22. Groove Thang by Zhane

21. Life (Everybody Needs Somebody) by Haddaway. I sort of liked this better than "What Is Love" to be honest. Probably because it wasn't featured on SNL, although I think those Roxbury skits came later.

20. I'm In The Mood by CeCe Peniston. She suddenly faded into Bolivia after this single. IYKYK.

19. (Lay Your Head On My) Pillow by Tony! Toni! Tone!

18. Breathe Again by Toni Braxton. I can still remember her running through that maze in the music video for this song. Kinda like me at times.

17. Everyday by Phil Collins

16. Understanding by Xscape

15. Found Out About You by The Gin Blossoms. I CERTAINLY did, and that's the reason I don't cry for you anymore. IYKYK.

14. All For Love by Bryan Adams, Sting, and Rod Stewart. You know, I can't imagine these singers donning three musketeers' costumes (which is the movie this song is from). Maybe Sting, but definitely not Bryan nor Rod.

13. Amazing by Aerosmith. I had a huge crush on Alicia Silverstone at the time, as most young men did. It went away quick after "Batman and Robin" though, which is by far the worst movie in the entire Batman franchise.

12. Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Oh, my my, oh hell yes. You got to pit on that party dress.

11. Now and Forever by Richard Marx. Don't remember the title of it, but I think it came from a movie with Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. Update, it was from "The Getaway."

10. Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through by Meat Loaf. This was actually a remake of a song that Jim Steinman, the man behind Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell II" album, released in 1981 that reached the top 40 on Billboard. This version however was much better.

  9. Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) by Us3

  8. Choose by Color Me Badd. Unfortunately, they were still around in 1994. They're still around today actually, when they aren't fighting each other on stage.

  7. Whatta Man by Salt N Pepa f/ En Vogue. Wow whatta video for that song. Why did the sexiest member of En Vogue have to leave the group though?

  6. Stay by Eternal. If a radio station nowadays decides to include 90's hits on their playlist (talking to you, Hits 106), this song should definitely be included.

  5. So Much In Love by All-4-One

  4. The Power Of Love by Celine Dion. A remake of a Laura Branigan tune from a few years prior. 

  3. Without You by Mariah Carey. Another remake, this one from Nillson back in the 70's.

  2. Because Of Love by Janet Jackson. 

...and the number one song this date in 1994 was...

  1. The Sign by Ace of Base. Now made somewhat popular again thanks to a Miller Lite advertisement. Which is a good alternative to Bud Light for those of you who want to protest, well you know.



  Well, that wraps up this week's flashback. If something comes up, I'll be back here again sometime this weekend. For now, it's time to grab some breakfast and talk to my therapist via video chat later this morning. Man do I have much to tell her. For now, enjoy your weekend!


Bonyscribe.






No comments:

Post a Comment