Friday, February 18, 2022

Flashback Friday/The Week That Was

 Hello again, everyone. This third week of February started out with a lot of anticipation but turned out to be somewhat of a dud. Par for the course for me considering my unfortunate past history in the romance department. 

Here's what happened: I got a box of chocolates for the woman I'm interested in the week before Valentine's Day, she wasn't there at her work (which for now is the only place I can see her). She eventually did get it, though. Fast forward to this Monday, and I got her a card as well as flowers for the occasion. FedEx dropped the ball big time; they were supposed to deliver the flowers to where she works, and I happened to be there. I saw a FedEx van literally circle the building and leave. Dude didn't look to make sure it was the right address I guess/ or something. Personally, I think it was something else. Think about it, how many times does that situation arise and end up with the result I got? I guess that kind of shit only happens to me. She wound up getting the flowers on the next day, a day late and a dollar short. Thanks a lot, FedEx. Then I went back there yesterday, but she wasn't there. I guess I misheard her or something because I thought she said that she would be there yesterday, and her day off would be tomorrow. Anyway, I think I know what my efforts are getting me, and I don't like the answer. 

Anyway, it is Friday, and you know what that means. It's time to flashback to a year on this date from the past and look at the top 40 songs from said year. This year, we're going back 29 years to 1993, and these were the top 40 songs according to Radio & Records magazine for February 19, 1993.

40. Losin' Myself by Debbie Gibson. This was according to R&R her last chart hit.

39. Nuthin' But A G-Thang by Dr. Dre f/ Snoop Doggy Dogg. And suddenly I'm taken back to Sunday's epic halftime show at the Super Bowl.

38. Beautiful Girl by INXS

37. I See Your Smile by Gloria Estefan

36. Walk On The Ocean by Toad the Wet Sprocket. If memory serves me correct, the version I heard on the radio ended with the chorus and then an instrumental outro. On Spotify, It ends at the final verse.

35. Comforter by Shai. Your typical mid-90's R&B slow jam to get it on with, not that I would know anything about it.

34. No Ordinary Love by Sade. See above

33. I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston

32. If I Ever Lose My Faith In You by Sting

31. Deeper and Deeper by Madonna. Looking back, since I didn't care for this song much, it should have been named "Derper and Derper."

30. When She Cries by Restless Heart. a rare country crossover song entering the Top 40.

29. Informer by Snow. A licky-boom boom down!!

28. Bad Girl by Madonna. A better song by her in my opinion, and the type of woman I usually fall for...maybe that's my problem.

27. Love Is by Vanessa Williams and Brian McKnight. I'd rather focus on the fact that McKnight is from the beautiful city of Orlando and not the fact that this song is on the soundtrack for "Beverly Hills, 90210."

26. Tell the Truth by Jud Cole. Obviously, this song would not be played in the background at the offices of Fox News.

25. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston. AND IIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

24. Stand Up, Kick Love into Motion by Def Leppard. Very, very underrated song from them.

23. Sweet Thing by Mary J. Blige. Too bad we didn't hear more of Mary's older tracks during the halftime show Sunday.

22. Cats In The Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe. Great cover of the Jim Croce classic

21. Little Bird by Annie Lennox

20. Stand by Poison

19. Man On The Moon by R.E.M. A song prominently featured in the Jim Carrey movie of the same name some seven years later.

18. Angel by Jon Secada

17. Steam by Peter Gabriel

16. Saving Forever For You by Shanice. Another song from the "90210" soundtrack.

15. Don't Walk Away by Jade. The video for that song, my God. 💓

14. Forever In Love by Kenny G. As cynical AF about love, I can't really have a comment about this song.

13. Two Princes by The Spin Doctors. I kind of see myself as the second prince in this song. Give it a listen sometime.

12. The Right Kind Of Love by Jeremy Jordan. Please let this be the end of the "90210" songs...

11. No Mistakes by Patty Smyth

10. That's What Love Can Do by Boy Krazy. What does it do exactly? I know it gives me fuel to my fire, but it's something I haven't felt much of.

  9. Here We Go Agin by Portrait. If you read the opening of this entry, you'd understand why I'm saying this today.

  8. Get Away by Bobby Brown

  7. Mr. Wendal by Arrested Development. The Tampa Bay Rays missed an opportunity here by not associating this song with Joey Wendle, like many used to do on Twitter.

  6. Give It Up Turn It Loose by En Vogue

  5. Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi

  4. 7 by Prince & the New Power Generation

  3. I'm Every Woman by Whitney Houston. Doesn't it seem like every song on this chart from either the "90210" soundtrack or "The Bodyguard" soundtrack?

  2. Ordinary World by Duran Duran. Arguably their greatest song.

and the number one song on this date 29 years ago was...

  1. A Whole New World by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle 


 










And that's the flashback for this week! More to come...


UPDATE: my girl still loves her flowers, there may be hope after all 😊


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment