Monday, February 7, 2022

48 Years...

 Hello once again. Hard to believe, but in a few hours, I will have made 48 circuits around the sun. That's a bit scary considering my spirit is that of a much younger Bony Scribe, but in those 48 years, I've seen plenty. I'm fortunate enough to have lived in Florida for most of my life. I was fortunate enough to serve my country in the U.S. Navy. I was fortunate enough to witness all of my favorite teams (except one) either win or appear in multiple championship games/series. Have I accomplished all that I wanted to do? Not even close, but if life has taught me anything, especially the years since my stroke, it has been to appreciate the little things in life and don't take things for granted. The latter part I'm still kinda working on, and the past two years have been quite difficult for obvious reasons.









For tomorrow, my plans were to go to the local Longhorn Steakhouse, but the weather is going to be crappy. So, me and my sisters will likely wait until Wednesday, Lisa Loeb. I honestly cannot remember when the last time it rained on my birthday. In fact, since I was discharged from the Navy in July of 1998, it has only rained once in Tampa on my birthday, and it was only a trace at that, in 2014. 

2014 interestingly enough was probably the worst experience I had for my birthday, and I was in the Orlando area for that. My lush of a sister of an ex-sister-in-law took me to one of those lame-ass dinner theaters along US 192 just west of Kissimmee and east of Disney; and to make matters even worse, she made it all about HER! Talk about a dud for a 40th birthday. If you wanted to really impress me, get me tickets to a Magic game. Sure, the team might suck, but at least I'll have a good time, and no annoying drunk daughter of hers popping off at the mouth either. God, that was embarrassing. No, I haven't seen nor heard from them since NOR DO I WANT TO.

Since I did not do a flashback Friday feature last week, perhaps I should knock off a quick one today. Why don't we go back to the week of my birthday, February 8, 1974? These were the top 40 songs according to Billboard Magazine:

40. Come And Get Your Love by Redbone. This was remade by Real McCoy twenty years later.
39. I Like The Love by B.B. King
38. I Shall Sing by Art Garfunkel
37. Helen Wheels by Paul McCartney & Wings
36. Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress) by Helen Reddy
35. Can This Be Real by Natural Four
34. Abra-Ca-Dabra by The Defranco Family
33. Livin' For You by Al Green
32. Sexy Mama by Moments
31. Dark Lady by Cher

30. "Joy" Part 1 by Isaac Hayes. HELLO, CHILDREN!!
29. Baby Come Close by Smokey Robinson
28. Me And Baby Brother by War
27. Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks
26. Jim Dandy by Black Oak Arkansas
25. The Most Beautiful Girl by Charlie Rich
24. The Americans (A Canadian's Opinion) by Gordon Sinclair
23. Love Song by Anne Murray
22. Midnight Rider by Gregg Allman
21. Last Time I Saw Him by Dianna Ross

20. Never, Never Gonna Give You Up by Barry White
19. I Love by Tom T. Hall. "
...and TWINS!!!"
18. Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce
17. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) by the Rolling Stones.
Okay, quit giggling.
16. Living For The City by Stevie Wonder
15. Put Your Hands Together by the O' Jays
14. Boogie Down by Eddie Kendricks
13. Rock On by David Essex.
Remade fifteen years later by Michael Damian.
12. Smokin' In The Boys Room by Brownsville Station. Remade by Motley Crue eleven years later.
11. The Joker by Steve Miller Band

10. Jungle Boogie by Kool and the Gang
  9. I've Got To Use My Imagination by Gladys Knight & The Pips
  8. Show And Tell by Al Wilson
  7. Spiders And Snakes by Jim Stafford
  6. Let Me Be There by Olivia Newton-John
  5. Until You Come Back To Me by Aretha Franklin
  4. Americans by Bryan McGregor
  3. You're Sixteen by Ringo Starr
  2. The Way We Were by Barbra Streisand

and the number one song on the date of my birth was

  1. Love's Theme by Love Unlimited Orchestra

Did you know? That song was used in ABC Television's golf coverage back in the late 70's/early 80's. If I remember correctly, they had three of the four majors (Open Championship, US Open, PGA Championship); only CBS carried the Master's Tournament. 


I would stop to watch the winter Olympics, but given these games are in China, and they have no regard for humanity whatsoever, I think I'll pass, but go USA! I would watch wrestling, but WWE has become seriously lame for about a year plus now. Plus, they're still taking blood money still running shows in Saudi Arabia, who have their own issues with human rights violations (as well as running out 154-year-old Goldberg to do title fights), I think I'll pass there too. Maybe I should catch up on the Book Of Boba Fett, or ask that one woman what she's doing for Valentine's Day...

...speaking of which, I did send her a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day, and she liked them! This was the woman who I was going to see last week, but you know how that story went. Valentine's Day is ehhhh. She'll likely be working the Super Bowl the day prior, and probably most important of all, I JUST STARTED TALKING TO HER. Seriously, I have no idea how things will go. Just keep your fingers crossed for me, ok?


More to come...


CT





No comments:

Post a Comment