Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving 2021

 Greetings once again from nowhere, and may I be the first to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Of course, there have many things to be thankful this year. Among those are:

  • The Bucs winning the Super Bowl at home a day before my birthday, it doesn't get much better than that if you ask me
  • The Lightning winning a second straight Stanley Cup, this time in front of roaring fans
  • Receiving my COVID vaccine
  • Another year of good health
  • Being able to invest money.
  • Supplementing my income through sports betting
(Record scratch), wait a minute, what do you mean sports betting is no longer legal in Florida? Son of a...

So what did this even last, not even a month? If some of you remember, it was rolled out with very little to no fanfare. Not only that, but after the Seminole Compact was enacted, you hardly heard it mentioned. But there were advertisements supporting other sports betting outlets planting their flag in Florida, as well as advertisements against it. Furthermore, whenever you saw any game on Bally Sports Sun/Florida, you never saw any odds posted for any games either they covered or elsewhere (as an example, MSG in New York had odds listed during an Islander broadcast I saw). This whole fiasco has me screaming...

Goddammit DeSantis!!! 😡









Anyway, I'm having a small Thanksgiving with the family tomorrow. Filled with turkey, fixings, and bad football (I mean the Lions are playing for cripes sake). Heck, I might watch hockey instead since there's a game on ABC (I think this is the first time the NHL has played on Thanksgiving). 

As for tonight, I don't know if I'll partake in Blackout Wednesday, where some people spend the night before Turkey Day getting absolutely blitzed; probably to make facing the in-laws more tolerable. Then again, I've never been married so how would I know? I do have some Fireball left, but I've drank already on Saturday and Monday, if I do so tonight it will be three times in five days, as opposed to three times in five months. I think I'd be better off leaving the bottle alone, even though my insufferable eldest sis is coming home from the hospital (gastrointestinal issue). I'd rather see her home for Thanksgiving anyway, you never know if this year could be the last time...

I think I'll pause there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of updates from last night. First, there is no hockey tomorrow; the games I had mentioned earlier in this post take place on Friday. 

Secondly, an update on my sister. She's indeed out of the hospital but she's pretty weak. She had concurrently a UTI, gallstones, and that GI virus. Thankfully the doctors didn't have to perform surgery for her gallstones, but it is a chronic condition. I asked for positive healing vibes from an absolute angel yesterday, and now I ask the same from those of you reading this. Katie if you're reading this, thank you so much 😘.

As for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I probably won't be watching. I used to watch it when I was little when the late Ed McMahon would host for NBC (and I think my old high school that I attended in NC participated one year; I'll have to check). I was fixated on all the balloons that would make their way down 34th Street(?) in front of Macy's, and it would always end with Santa arriving. That tradition will not happen this year because the COVID-19 pandemic is still raging. And I don't think there even was a parade last year, because there hadn't been jabs in shoulders yet and the former administration botched the COVID response seven ways to sunset. Plus, for the last two decades, I was for the most part too tired from working overnights at the post office to watch it.







But, the parade will mark one thing: the Holiday Season has officially arrived. Mariah Carey's been waiting since Halloween for this moment to arrive. 

Happy Thanksgiving.

CT


No comments:

Post a Comment