Friday, March 1, 2024

Flashback: March 2, 2001

 Hello, everyone. My computer appears to be working, for now. I have my Spotify app closed so hopefully it helps (UPDATE: it didn't). As long as I can get my 'puter to stay on for once and not crash, I'm golden. Last week, I ran back 1994, this week, we're taking a look back to just before our lives would all change forever.

With that said, here were the top 40 songs per Radio & Records Magazine for March 2, 2001, with some memories and random thoughts sprinkled in. Can you believe it's been 23 years already?!

40. Broken Promises by Tonya Mitchell. As I recall, she was a singer from Tennessee that allegedly was the one Justin Timberlake cheated on Britney Spears with. After this single, which was her breakthrough, her father died, and Mitchell left the music industry not long afterwards.

39. Loser by Three Doors Down. Gee, with the way my mental and emotional health has been lately, I feel like one, but I'm not.

38. Liquid Dreams by O-Town. Did we REALLY need another Orlando, Florida-based boy band? If Backstreet was Coca-Cola and *NSYNC was Pepsi, I guess this group was RC Cola, and much like RC Cola, they're still around, just not very relevant.

37. E. I. by Nelly. To this day, I don't know what "E.I." stands for. Looking at Wiki, it apparently is code for something I'd rather not discuss on this blog, but if you're curious, go ahead. For those who don't want to click on the link, think of the term "butter face."

36. Too Little Too Late by The Barenaked Ladies. This song kinda reminds me of the classic rant from "Animal House."

35. Stutter by Joe f/Mystikal. Joe also released a smoother R&B sounding version of this song, but it didn't get any play on FLZ.

34. My Everything by 98 Degrees

33. Ooh It's Kinda Crazy by Soul Decision. You mean how my February went? You can say that. 

32. I Wish by R. Kelly. I bet he wishes he didn't fool around with underage girls back in the day.

31. Beautiful Day by U2. There was a rather forgettable commercial for a Tampa-area car dealership back in the early 2000's that utilized a poorly sung version of this song. I don't think they increased their business from those ads, and they were probably even more annoying than the dude for Spectrum that cosplays Vincent Van Gogh yelling, "$29.99!!"

30. I'm Like A Bird by Nelly Furtado. Had it not have been for Timabland, Nelly would have been known as the singer that sang the bird song, which was feature in a State Farm ad about a decade ago. "I only fly awayyyyy."

29. I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack. Rare country crossover hit. As I recall, there were two versions of this tune, one for contemporary radio and one for country. I think only the country version is available on Spotify.

28. Southside by Moby f/Gwen Stefani. A favorite of mine from that era, unfortunately for me, the version with Gwen is not available on Spotify. Dammit man...

27. Breathless by The Corrs

26. Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning) by Vertical Horizon. If memory serves me correct, this was their final Top 40 hit. Quite strange considering they had the most (over)played song of the year 2000.

25. Thank You For Loving Me by Bon Jovi

24. Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse. The song that just wouldn't go away. I think it was still in the top 10 when 9/11 hit (Update: after a quick check, it was). 

23. Follow Me by Uncle Kracker

22. Hemorrhage (In My Hands) by Fuel. Casey Kasem on his countdown show never said the actual title on his countdown shows. I never realized that "hemorrhage" was taboo to say over the airwaves, but maybe to some listeners they found it offensive. Then again, those same people would get offended if someone picked their nose.

21. Free by Mya

20. No More (Baby I'ma Do Right) by 3LW. A one-hit wonder for this group.

19. Case Of The Ex (Whatcha Gonna Do) by Mya. This was her biggest solo effort, her biggest hits were "Getto Supastar" and "Lady Marmalade" which were collaborations.

18. Never Had A Dream Come True by S Club 7. I'm still waiting for mine, and I'm getting closer.

17. The Call by The Backstreet Boys. There was one call I wish I had made in 2004, but I didn't, and that's probably why I'm single now.

16. It Wasn't Me by Shaggy f/Rik Rok. The whole premise of this song is hilarious. Dude gets caught red-handed cheating on his woman, and Shaggy tells him to say it wasn't him. Now unless there was an identical twin that the woman had zero idea about, how on Earth could this POSSIBLY work?








15. Thankyou by Dido. Yes, I had to watch how I spelled Dido. Anyway, this took off thanks to Eminem who sampled this in his hit, "Stan." Which is also where we get the GenZ term "stan" (meaning fanatic of) from. Thanks, Marshall!

14. Ms. Jackson by OutKast. Iconic song that launched OutKast into the mainstream. Hold on, we're getting reaction now from Mr. Jackson, and it doesn't look good for Andre and Big Boi:









13. Around The World (A La La La La La) by ATC

12. You Make Me Sick by P!nk. Her third hit from "Can't Take Me Home." I wonder if she still does songs from this era on tour right now? And does she fly through the air on a trapeze-like device doing so?

11. Independent Women Part I by Destiny's Child. First off, congratulations are in order to Beyonce for becoming the first female artist of African descent to score a #1 country song, which is also the number one song on this week's Hot 100 ("Texas Hold 'Em"). Secondly, since this song was from the movie "Charlie's Angels," I should state that I had such a crush on Drew Barrymore back in the day. 

10. If You're Gone by Matchbox Twenty. Low-key a favorite of mine and an underrated hit in my opinion.

  9. Jaded by Aerosmith. Their Super Bowl appearance that year (along with Britney and NSYNC) undoubtedly propelled this chart hit, which I think was their final top ten.

  8. Nobody Wants To Be Lonely by Ricky Martin with Christina Aguilera. I really thought this would take off big time, but it only got to #7 the following week, then fell off. A pretty good song actually.

  7. He Loves U Not by Dream. Dream was supposedly the female version of BSB. I wonder what happened to them? Whoa, here's something I didn't know until now, group member Melissa Shuman accused Nick Carter of rape in 2002.

  6. Butterfly by Crazy Town. Crazy town, perfectly describes about any town in Florida. That or Lumberton, NC.

  5. Don't Tell Me by Madonna. FLZ played the fast tempo version of this song (which I hated) while their butt-ugly sister station Star 95.7 (now extinct) played the regular version. In fact, there was a lot of things I hated about FLZ at the time. Now I just hate them for being an iHate Local Radio iHeart Media station.

  4. Crazy by K-Ci and JoJo. Yeah, thinking about has just about driven me crazy...

  3. Angel by Shaggy f/Rayvon. An updated version of Merilee Rush's 1968 song "Angel Of The Morning," which was remade by Juice Newton in 1981.

  2. Again by Lenny Kravitz. Great song, only a matter of time until it reaches a "new" oldies station, which I'm surprised hasn't happened yet that I am aware of.

...and the number one song twenty-three years ago this week was...

  1. Love Don't Cost A Thing by Jennifer Lopez. Wrong. It actually does cost something eventually. Either that or I have become jaded with relationships to the point that true love does not exist. 


That puts a wrap on this week's flashback feature. I'm formulating ideas in my mind on how I want to expand the BonyScribe brand further. More entries on this blog would help at first, but stay tuned. I want to do something more online in the coming months, that is if I ever get my depression somewhat resolved. Until next time, have a good weekend!


BonyScribe

No comments:

Post a Comment