Saturday, March 16, 2024

Flashback: March 16, 1991

 Good day, everyone, and Happy St. Paddy's Day. Hope everyone wears their green and drinks responsibly this weekend, and most importantly, stays hydrated. I of course won't be participating in the latter part, but I will be wearing green for USF men's basketball; they might win their conference tournament on and possibly clinch their first NCAA Tournament appearance in thirteen years. Tonight, I'll be watching the ACC Final between North Carolina and NC State. 

But that's tonight. For right now, albeit a day late, I thought I would give you my weekly flashback segment. This week I rolled my D20 die, and it wound up on 12, which meant I could choose between 1991 and 2011. Of course, I chose 1991. A rather interesting point in time to say the least. Personally, I was getting acclimated to a whole new school system, as my family had just relocated from Podunkville, NC to Apopka, Florida. Plus, we had just wrapped up Operation Desert Storm, in which (in a precursor to events a dozen years later) Allied forces overwhelmed Saddam Hussein and his Iraqi Army. 

Musically speaking, these were the Top 40 songs according to Billboard Magazine for the week ending March 16, 1991:

40. Deeper Shade Of Soul by Urban Dance Squad. Only hit from this outfit, which had already moved out of the R/R charts for about a month at this point.

39. Chasin' The Wind by Chicago. Last top 40 hit for these longtime chart veterans.

38. How To Dance by Bingo Boys f/ Princessa. I usually turned the radio station when this song came on.

37. Together Forever by Lisette Melendez. As I recall, this was a staple on WXXL radio in Orlando.

36. I Saw Red by Warrant. Actually, I haven't seen "Red" in over a month, but I have seen her red flags everywhere. something I should have seen from the outset...

35. I Like The Way (The Kissing Game) by Hi-Five. No, your guy never has played a kissing game with a woman, all my "relationships" have never gotten to that point.

34. Just The Way It Is, Baby by The Rembrandts. Thier much lesser-known hit before they sang the theme to an iconic sitcom later on in the decade.

 33. If You Needed Somebody by Bad Company. A favorite of mine that stands the test of time, if only radio stations that specialize in old music would play it.

32. My Side Of The Bed by Susanna Hoffs. Her maiden solo effort, and a nice video to boot. 😉

31. Something In My Heart by Michel'le. I honestly do not remember this song at all.

30. Joyride by Roxette. After taking most of 1990 off, they returned with this song in early 1991.

29. Cry For Help by Rick Astley. When this video came out, we wondered what had happened to Rick because he no longer had the Howdy-Doody haircut (it was significantly longer). In any event I would hear this all the time at the Winn-Dixie I worked at in Pine Hills.

28. The First Tine by Surface. True story, the first days I rode the bus to Apopka High, there was this one girl who had really bad acne. I mean HELLA bad. And unfortunately, a couple of times she wound up sitting beside me, so I (to myself) changed the lyrics to this song to "the first time I saw your face I barfed." 

27. Baby Baby by Amy Grant. Speaking of barfing...

26. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)/I Want You by Robert Palmer. The other radio station to in Orlando I religiously listened to at the time, WOMX, would play this a LOT.

25. The Star-Spangled Banner by Whitney Houston. Recorded before Super Bowl XXV in Tampa, Florida.

24. I'll Do For You by Father MC. A rather humorous ending to the song, as the female singer asks, "am I finished?"

23. Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Excuse me for a second...









I hope that picture triggers some adolescent memories for the guys out there...you're welcome.

22. Rico Suave by Gerardo

21. I'll Be By Your Side by Stevie B

20. Round And Round by Tevin Campbell. As I recall, I think Prince had a hand not only in launching Tevin's career, but also with this particular track.

19. Sadness by Enigma. An all-time favorite of mine that reminds me of the "Pure Moods" CD that was advertised all over TV in the 90s.

18. Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C+C Music Factory. Wanna feel old? If anyone has watched any part of ESPN's Champ Week coverage (which includes the ACC Tournament), you undoubtedly have heard THIS song. In 2024. 

17. Iesha by Another Bad Creation. This group was formed (IIRC) by Bell Biv Devoe, who of course would also launch the career of Boyz II Men.

16. Signs by Tesla. Unfortunately, I don't have this song on Spotify because I can't seem to find the edited for radio version.

15. I've Been Thinking About You by Londonbeat. But you haven't been thinking about me. Story of my life, buddy.

14. You're In Love by Wilson Phillips. Oh really??? I don't think so.

13. Waiting For Love by Alias. How long have I been waiting for love??












12. Around The Way Girl by LL Cool J

11. Madonna. I liked this song more than I did "Justify My Love."

10. Hold You Tight by Tara Kemp. Had a couple of bangers in 1991 then faded into Bolivia...

  9. Where Does My Heart Beat Now by Celine Dion. Long before "My Heart Will Go On," she debuted with this hi
  8. Get Here by Oleta Adams. Part of the reason why I think this song was so popular was because of Desert Storm, which I mentioned earlier in this entry had just wrapped up. This was also used by Trailways Bus Service, when they were still in existence.

  7. All The Man That I Need by Whitney Houston

  6. This House by Tracie Spencer. A few years ago, Tampa Bay's (s)hit music channel, WFLZ, used part of this song on a loop as bumper music. Otherwise, this song has been largely forgotten.

  5. All This Time by Sting. I'm a little surprised in retrospect that this song charted this high.

  4. Coming Out Of The Dark by Gloria Estefan. Remember when she had that near-fatal bus accident in 1990? This was her triumphant comeback from it.

  3. Show Me The Way by Styx. Their biggest hit since "Mr. Roboto" eight years earlier.

  2. One More Try by Timmy T. Pretty song, it would hit number one the following week, which at the time was the first song from an indy label since Lionel Richie's "Truly" in 1982 to reach the top spot. And I don't think she'll get another try if she decides to do so.

...and the number one song this date 33 years ago was...

  1. Someday by Mariah Carey. Featured in the music video was a drummer who was featured in a Levi's commercial the year before, who didn't have a drum set, but a pair of sticks and a bucket.












So that's your flashback for this week. I might have another entry come late Sunday or early Monday concerning the upcoming 2024 NCAA basketball tournaments. One other very important note before I sign off for now, even though I highly doubt she'll see this, but I wanted to wish my daughter Kaylee a very happy 25th birthday tomorrow.



















this was taken before her senior year of high school


Until later, take care...



BonyScribe

No comments:

Post a Comment