Saturday, November 10, 2018

Something totally different.





Hello again everyone.

This has been a really messed up week, from election snafus to yet another mass shooting, to California being on fire (and our POSOTUS somehow blaming the Forestry Service for it). On a personal note, my phone started going haywire and I had to cancel my service; and my twitter crush was MIA from the tweet fields all week.

But thankfully, the week has come to end, and not only that, it's Veteran's Day weekend; a special time for all veterans who have served in our Armed Forces. To all fellow Veterans out there, allow me to send a heartfelt thank you.

So, for this post, I didn't want to focus on all the negative energy on all the "blyat" that happened this past week, but I wanted to take a look further back to days of yore. I haven't told anyone this, but one hidden passion/labor of love of mine has been to reconstruct the Top 40 radio charts from 1980, the year when I started school, until present-day. Now, first things first, this isn't based from Billboard, which if my memory serves me correct, was strictly sales-based until the early 1990's. I used Radio and Records magazine, a publication that was discontinued in 2008, however the methodology for tabulating their charts at the time of their closure still lives on as Mediabase 24/7.

In the years before Mediabase and what is known as PPW (plays per week), radio stations would have to call or Fax R&R's offices with a total of how much a certain song was played. For example, if station A was a Top 40 station, they would inform R&R Song A was played 20 times, Song B was played 16, and so on. Add that to the hundreds of radio stations across the country of a particular format (country, rock, pop, etc.) and you get a nationwide total. Now, everything is automated; one less hassle I imagine for music directors and program directors at radio stations everywhere.

So with that said, I chose a chart that had today's date (11/10) and picked one chart from that day. Today I decided to use the chart from 11/10/2000. Would you believe that it's already been 18(!) years since then? Anyway, here was the Top 40 from that date:

 1. With Arms Wide Open Creed
 2. Most Girls  P!nk
 3. Kryptonite 3 Doors Down
 4. This I Promise You N Sync
 5. Music Madonna
 6. Gotta Tell You Samantha Mumba
 7. Faded SoulDecision
 8. Shape Of My Heart Backstreet Boys
 9. Case Of The Ex (Whatcha   
     Gonna Do)
Mya
10. She Bangs Ricky Martin
11. Dance With Me Debelah Morgan
12. You're A God Vertical Horizon
13. Independent Women Part 1 Destiny's Child
14. Don't Think I'm Not Kandi
15. Pinch Me Barenaked Ladies
16. If You're Gone Matchbox Twenty
17. Come On Over (All I Want Is         You) Christina Aguilera
18. Country Grammar Nelly
19. Jumpin' Jumpin' Destiny's Child
20. He Loves U Not Dream
21. No More Ruff Endz
22. Crazy For This Girl Evan And Jaron
23. The Way You Love Me Faith Hill
24. Who Let The Dogs Out Baha Men
25. If I Am Nine Days
26. It Wasn't Me Shaggy 
27. The Itch Vitamin C
28. Wonderful Everclear
29. Give Me Just One Night (Una       Noche) 98 Degrees
30. Right Now SR-71
31. Incomplete Sisqo
32. So In Love With Two Mikaila
33. Stronger Britney Spears
34. Sleepwalker Wallflowers
35. Walk Me Home Mandy Moore
36. Californication Red Hot Chili Peppers
37. Pass You By Boyz II Men
38. Again Lenny Kravitz
39. Shake It Fast Mystikal
40. Pop Ya Collar Usher

Hope that brings back some memories for you, and if you have any questions/comments, you can ask me either in the comments or on my twitter page, twitter.com@Bonyscribe.


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment