Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Flashback: August 14, 2009

 Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? The last time I opened up this blog, we hadn't had the presidential debate, and since then, we have a new candidate for President thanks to an awful debate performance. One candidate for President was shot at, the situation which I we don't know the whole story about (and likely never will). The economy was on the verge of a recession...until it wasn't. The Olympic Games in Paris happened without any major incident (other than a HIDEOUS attempt at breakdancing), and Ukraine invaded Russia. Oh, and I reconciled with a particular redhead. Wild times indeed.







So, to break the silence on here, why don't I do another flashback? This week we're going back fifteen years (has it been that long already?) to 2009. I was in the middle of a failed move to Gainesville, contemplating resigning from the USPS for a $15,000 buyout (which I didn't wind up taking) and totally changing my life. Here were the Top 40 songs roughly based off Mediabase 24/7 for the week ending August 14, 2009.

40. Party In The USA by Miley Cyrus--debut. This marked the start of Miley's transition from Hannah Montana to the Miley we've come to know and adore today. Speaking of which, Miley was honored this week as a Disney legend.

39. Who's Got Your Money by Tina Parol--down #36. Isn't that another way of Capital One asking, "what's in your wallet?"

38. Say Hey I Love You by Michael Franti & Spearhead--debut.

37. One Time by Justin Bieber--up from #40. Ugh...

36. Sweet Dreams by Beyonce--up from #37. Or a beautiful nightmare. I loved this tune back in the day.

35. Obsessed by Mariah Carey--up from #38. Every time I hear this song, I think of the viral TikTok girl who danced to this song while wiping away tears.







34. Radar by Britney Spears--unchanged from the prior week. Well since she's single now, she could potentially be someone's radar, if you can handle her crazy that is.

33. Wanted by Jessie James--down from #25

32. New Divide by Linkin Park--up from #33. Song from the "Transformers" movie that was released that year.

31. Hush Hush: Hush Hush by The Pussycat Dolls--down from #30. Other than "Dontcha," I forgot PCD had another chart hit.

30. I'm In Miami (Trick) by LFMAO--down from #29. Can we forget about LFMAO already?

29. So Fine by Sean Paul--up from #31

28. I Do Not Hook Up by Kelly Clarkson--down from #24. Speaking of Kelly, my one sister had a comment over lunch about a rather tough cherry that she bit into; she called it a 40-year-old virgin. NOOO!! KELLY CLARKSON!!

27. Her Diamonds by Robb Thomas--up from #28

26. Birthday Sex by Jeremih--down from #20. One can wish, huh?

25. Love Drunk by Boys Like Girls--up from #26. I liked this song.

24. Hotel Room Service by Pitbull--up from #27. Can't say that I've utilized hotel room service.

23. Never Say Never by The Fray--unchanged from the prior week. One lesson I learned the past few weeks is to never say never.

22. Not Meant To Be by Theory Of A Deadman--unchanged from the prior week. Or is it???

21. Down by Jay Sean f/Lil' Wayne--up from #32. Without a doubt, one of my favorite songs from 2009, although I didn't understand why exactly radio stations decided to mix up the second and third verses to the song. Talking to YOU, FLZ...

20. If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback--down from #17. To steal a quote from another song, it's a reason why we should live like we were dying.

19. Second Chance by Shinedown--down from #15. Jacksonville's own.

18. She Wolf/Loba by Shakira--up from #21. I know it's been 15 years, but I'm still processing some of the moves she made in that video for this song.

17. That's Not My Name by The Ting Tings--down from #16. Not my favorite song from them, that would be "Two Hands."

16. Halo by Beyonce--up from #19

15. No Surprise by Daughtry--up from #18. Remember them? I wonder what they're up to nowadays.

14. Boom Boom Pow by The Blackeyed Peas--down from #12. Their star was soooo massive in 2009, then Fergie left, and they faded into Bolivia as Mike Tyson once said.

13. Don't Trust Me by 3Oh!3--down from #8. love love love this hit.

12. Please Don't Leave Me by P!nk--down from #9. This was recorded around the time I think her and her hubby Carey Hart had a split in their relationship, but they stayed together and now their daughter is performing on stage.

11. Best I Ever Had by Drake--up from #13

10. Use Somebody by Kings Of Leon--up from #14. Remember just the other day when the internet "commemorated" the Dave Matthews Band incident in Chicago? Well in 2010, the kinda reverse happened in St. Louis, when pigeons exacted a measure of revenge on DMB on Kings Of Leon. That band hasn't really been the same since...

  9. I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) by Pitbull--down from #7. This launched "Mr. 305" into "Mr. Worldwide."

  8. Battlefield by Jordin Sparks--up from #11. A good song, but not as iconic as Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" some 25 years earlier. 

  7. Good Girls Go Bad by Cobra Starship f/Leighton Meester--up from #10

  6. Fire Burning by Sean Kingston--unchanged from the prior week

  5. Lovegame by Lady Gaga--down from #3. It was great seeing her during the Olympics opening ceremonies.

  4. Knock You Down by Keri Hilson--up from #5. I still have beef with radio stations, (especially iHate Media, formerly ClearChannel) that would unnecessarily censor this song because it contains the word "ship," and ClearChannel was in such a panic that they would be fined from the FCC (who I believe was ran by Michael Powell at the time), who wasn't afraid for fining stations for indecent conduct even if it was accidentally sneezing on air.

  3. You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift--up from #4. I believe Travis Kelce was at the University of Cincinnati around this time as I'm suddenly reminded that since it's August, we are one month away from non-stop 24/7 coverage of Taylor Swift on ESPN.

  2. Waking Up In Vegas by Katy Perry--down from #1. Unfortunately for Katy, "American Idol" has decided told her to cash out; Carrie Underwood is replacing her as a judge.

...and the number one song this week 15 years ago was...

  1. I Gotta Feeling by The Blackeyed Peas--up from #2. Like I said earlier on this blog, their star was as bright as any star in the sky, and this song was their signature hit.


I should have more coming later this week...as long as my depression doesn't kick in again, until then take care. 


BonyScribe

No comments:

Post a Comment