Monday, November 27, 2023

Some Things I'm Thankful For, Some Things I'm Not, Plus Other Stuff...

 Hello again, everyone. With the Thanksgiving holiday now behind us, it's always a good time to celebrate what we're thankful for. In my case, there are many things, like having two loving sisters, living where it doesn't get too cold, still having working fingers to type this with, as well as having someone special in my life (love you, Sammy). That reminds me, I have to figure out what I'm getting her for Christmas... 











Other things I'm thankful for include McDonald's fries, Jardiance, Prozac, NFL RedZone, and I guess Fireball, although I limit that to once a month, and NEVER with medication. Oh, and CM Punk returning to WWE...more on that in a jiffy...

However, there are other things that I (and I imagine many others) aren't as thankful for. So, I thought I would write what I'm not thankful for in this entry.

One is Elon Musk, who turned my favorite social media application into more of a cesspool of hate and division than it was before he took over as boss. Free speech on that platform? Pfft. More like hate speech full of antisemitic trolls and election deniers. Oh, and photos on X (that's another thing he did, he killed the bird and destroyed Twitter!) now show him as a guest of Benjamin Netanyahu, who in my opinion, isn't helping the current situation in the Middle East right now: hell, he's probably making it worse. But that's an entirely different topic that I may or may not discuss in a future entry. I never thought that we'd be living amongst a real-life version of Lex Luthor, but here we are.







"It's still Twitter to me, dammit!"


Another thing I'm not very thankful for is the mainstream media. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. All three are doing or have done their part in sowing the seeds of misinformation and sometimes downright propaganda here in the United States. It's ridiculous. CNN wants to watch the world burn it seems. MSNBC wants to push an extreme left-wing narrative, and Fox wants to push an extreme right-wing narrative. And you wonder why more young people get their news from frigging TikTok? What happened to "just the facts, ma'am (man)?" 

My distrust in the media began when I would listen to the local "news" station in Tampa (WFLA-AM). I quickly noticed that all their programming was decidedly right-leaning. Maybe I should have listened to NPR more often as I grew older. But when Sean Hannity is openly calling for voters to vote Republican, that's where I draw the line, because my philosophy was that news media should be unbiased and impartial. Oh, was I wrong (and probably naive). After 2016, I basically swore off terrestrial radio as result, and after now, I should swear off all news media.

Another thing, the fact that pretty much everything is a damned advertisement nowadays. You go watch a video on YouTube? You have to watch umpteen ads before you can watch, and during the video. Play a game on your phone? It's interrupted by an ad while you're playing the game, most likely for games that promise a huge payout but don't really do squat. Twixxer and Facebook? Ads intertwined between posts. Seriously, could we give it a rest? I'm now seeing those annoying car insurance ads on my phone. What's next, an ad for Rinvoc (CHECK!) or Skrizi (and that stupid jingle)?


Okay, enough ranting, let's talk about things I saw or observed over the weekend. First off, hell froze over. Honestly, I didn't really see it coming, but I kinda did because of where Survivor Series took place (Rosemont, IL). And man, some of the talent was not happy about it. In fact, I don't have footage obviously, but here is what I imagine Seth Rollins' reaction to the return of CM Punk was like. 


Can't wait for Raw tonight from Nashville, 8ET on USA Network.


Oh, and how about the insane ending to the Iron Bowl on Saturday night? I guess you could say that made up for the Kick Six from Chris Davis a decade earlier. But I thought for sure Alabama was going to fall short and create potential chaos in the CFB playoff. 












Then on Sunday, Jalen Hurts pulled a similar play to give Philadelphia the lead in their game against Buffalo, which he Eagles won it overtime. 







By the way, is it just me, or do the Eagles Kelly green helmets and uniforms look lighter than the ones they wore from the 70s to the mid 90s?
















I mean, it just looks a lot lighter nowadays than in years past, but then again, maybe kelly green wasn't available as a helmet color option even a quarter of a century ago...



Well, I may as well wrap this entry up. I have some errands to go run for my sisters. I'll be back with more later this week. Until then take care and stay warm back home!



Bony Scribe

No comments:

Post a Comment