Tuesday, October 17, 2023

What A Weird Weekend

 Hello everyone. Was it just me or were things feeling off this weekend? I know we had Friday the 13th happen this weekend, and a solar eclipse. Still when it came to this weekend, things felt a little off, dontcha think? 

Starting off with Friday night, which happened to be homecoming night for both high schools I attended, Hoke County, NC and Apopka, FL. It was in the realm of college football and involved Overhype University (aka Colorado) and their home tilt against lowly Stanford. At one point during the game, in which Colorado led 29-0, the person in charge of the music/sound effects that sometimes play between downs got a wee bit carried away, and the referee was not having any of it. Now did it have an effect on the performance of the Buffaloes going forward? Maybe. Because after halftime (remember it was 29-0 Colorado), Stanford inconceivably stormed back from said deficit to capture a 46-43 overtime victory

You know what this kind of reminds me of? The Houston Oilers of the late 1980s and the Atlanta Falcons of the early 1990s under Jerry Glanville. For those of you old enough to remember that era in professional football, remember how ridiculously hyped both those teams were, and how they had all sorts of celebrities coming out to their games, and Glanville was featured in that hideous "2 Legit 2 Quit" video by MC Hammer (which should be included in my "Jukebox From Hell", which I should make as a future subject on this blog)? Well, how many championships did those teams win? Zero. And after a while it fell apart, in fact in the case of the Oilers, they wound up moving to Nashville. Yet most people are on board the Deion Sanders hype train as if they want to hand them a College Football Playoff National Championship. A cautionary tale to remain humble in any endeavor one partakes in. 







Saturday, was the eclipse, and I didn't go outside to see it, there were some clouds in my area from what I understand, but a few people did get some pictures of it locally. I wound up sleeping most of the early part of Saturday, but I did wake up to catch Florida face South Carolina, and I thought the Gators would lay another dud on the road, but lo and behold they rallied from a ten-point deficit in the final five minutes to come away with a crucial 41-39 win. That wasn't the only thing on Saturday, not by a long-shot. You had Illinois hitting a game-winning field goal in the face of the Kevin James meme at Maryland. You had douchebag extraordinaire Logan Paul beating an even douchier bro in the boxing ring, then calling out Rey Mysterio afterwards. Guess I'll be watching Smackdown this Friday, but be careful what you wish for, Logan. BOOYAKA! Then there was whatever the hell was going on with the Lightning in Detroit. Not only did the Bolts lose 6-4 to the Red Wings, but TV analyst Brian Engblom had something weird going on with his hair. 











Thomas Dolby, is that you?

Other things that happened on Saturday were North Carolina beating Miami and Duke beating NC State, but most notably, who was this that I saw at the Miami-UNC game? By the way, as far as my Saturday picks are concerned, I went 13-4 (I TOLD you that South Florida was going to lose!).

Wrapping this up because I don't want to reach the TLDR point of this entry (and my computer is acting up again), but on Sunday, man was the NFL weird. A flag fest in London for the BAL-TEN game. The Niners losing to the Browns, my Bucs laying an egg on their creamsicle jersey day. Dumb decisions in the NY Giants-Buffalo game. The Eagles losing to the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS for the first time ever. Despite all of that, if you include the win on Thursday night, I came away with a 12-3 record to give me a season total of 57-36. Not too bad if you ask me. Also, the Lightning laid another egg, this time in Ottawa. 

Monday was highlighted by seeing the most passionate fan I've seen this year during the Monday Night game between the Dallas Cowboys and the LA Chargers, and now she's my newest crush. So, Samantha, Sarah, and Amy, I'm sorry. You're going to have to make more room for her:


 





my newest crush.

Unfortunately for our heroine, her Chargers came up short, as usual, and she was as you could imagone crushed (kind of like I was when you know who got back together with you know what; I'm still holding out for a miracle by the way).


Seriously, if you want to know more, check out my Twitter page because I want this to be an extension of this blog, and vice versa. Until later this week, take care.


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment