Friday, October 20, 2023

Some Radio Stuff I'm Pondering About/Football Picks

 Hello, everyone. Earlier this week, I was doing something I haven't really done much of since 2016; listened to terrestrial radio. It was a niche station that covers the Nature Coast (Pasco/Hernando/Citrus Counties in Florida) called Hits 106, WGHR. I think one of their personalities is known as Marvelous Marvin who, for those you are reading this in the Tampa Bay area, once worked for I believe Q105 and Mix 100.7 in the past. The station primarily plays classic pop songs from the 1970s and 1980s. 






Most of the music played on said station is pretty much what you would expect from them; songs from those two decades that were monsters on the Billboard Hot 100, but I heard a rogue song at the time I was listening to the station; "Smooth," the classic from Robb Thommas and Carlos Santana, which was released in the summer of 1999. I thought for a minute that the song didn't quite fit the format for the sheer fact that it wasn't a 70's or 80's song. Then I thought about it further; 1999 was TWENTY-FOUR years ago, and when I was growing up in the 80's, songs from that long ago from that point (1960s) were considered oldies. I mean my two sisters were raised on The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Clapton, etc. 

That got me to thinking, what songs from the 1990s and 2000s would fit the format of Hits 106? I imagine it probably wouldn't be based off the Hot 100, as during the 1990s and beyond (especially after 1994) that chart was definitely skewed towards hip-hop and some country. Moreover, some of the songs from those two decades were, let's just say not radio friendly. So, I guess we'd have to make a determination of which songs would make the cut based on Radio & Records CHR/Pop charts from that era. Fortunately, I have such a list that I have compiled over the past decade or so. So, I'll have to check said lists out, and make that determination. Something that I will be working on over this weekend as well as the week following, so stay tuned.

Week 7 NFL Picks:

Thanks to a last-minute touchdown from Christian Kirk, I started this week on a winning note, as Jacksonville defeated New Orleans to raise my record to 58-36. Will I have as good a record as I had last weekend (12-3)? Doubtful. But at least I'm not throwing in the towel this season as I did last year. Recent events in my personal life have given me a second wind. Next week could be crucial for me, that's all I'll say for now. As for my picks:

BUF over NE
WSH over NYG
CLE over IND
DET over BAL
LV over CHI
TB over ATL
LAR over PIT
SEA over AZ
KC over LAC
GB over DEN
PHI over MIA
SF over MIN

Byes: CIN, DAL, HOU, NYJ, TEN

Buh-bye: CAR


And for college games Saturday:

Penn State over Ohio State (upset special)
Navy over Air Force
Oklahoma over UCF
Arkansas over Mississippi State
Memphis over UAB

East Carolina over Charlotte
Oregon over Washington State
Alabama over Tennessee
Connecticut over South Florida (at least Beth Mowins isn't calling this game, Bulls fan)
Missouri over South Carolina

Illinois over Wisconsin
Iowa over Minnesota
Wake Forest over Pitt
Texas over Houston
North Carolina over Virginia

LSU over Army
Michigan over Michigan State
Florida State over Duke
USC over Utah
Clemson over Miami

Washington over Arizona State
UCLA over Stanford

Mercifully, Colorado has a bye week, so we get a break from the overblown hype express. Enjoy your weekend everyone!


BS 






No comments:

Post a Comment