Thursday, September 28, 2023

Post for September 28, 2023 (Week 4 Picks)

 Good morning. Forgive me for the lack of creativity in today's title, but I just awoke and I'm not quite awake yet. Plus, I have an appointment in about an hour (health plan home visit, which is better than my last few "visits" with the VA), so I'm definitely looking forward to it (yeah, right). I've been somewhat down the last week and a half. Some of you know can probably imagine as to why, and I may or may not have alluded to it on my last post, but I'll be okay...I guess.

Yesterday, I was listening to the radio with the family, which is something I rarely do because I normally listen to music on Spotify. It wasn't one of those major stations that air in the Tampa Bay area (because quite honestly, most of those stations absolutely suck), but a smaller station based out of northern Pasco County known as Hits 106. Gwen had it turned up as Dobie Gray was playing (who I first thought was Dobie Gillis, until I realized that was a 1960's TV character), then came a song that if you're a hockey fan (especially a St. Louis Blues fan) has plenty of meaning to you: Gloria by Laura Branigan.

As catchy and upbeat as that 1982 tune may be, it's also a source of dread amongst some of my siblings, for Gloria happens to be the birth name of my late sister Jean, who passed away due to heart failure back in February. So, like any good sibling would do, my sister Gwen just silently turned the radio down. As for me personally, I would have kept it on, because Jean HATED her birth name, and the way I looked at it, it could be a song to troll her so to speak. But I didn't grow up with her, and Gwen did. To make a long story short, if you looked up pretentious in Webster's Dictionary, you might find a picture of Gloria next to it.








Last weekend was okay from a football picking standpoint. I went 14-6 in the college slate and 10-6 (for the second straight week) in the pros. That puts me at 27-21 for the year in NFL picks and 32-8 for college. Was VERY disappointed with the outcome of the Monday night game, even more disappointed by the fact that Tampa Bay "fans" sold their tickets to Eagles fans who made a mockery of our stadium...and our city (I heard a "Tampa sucks!" chant before the Bucs' lone touchdown drive 😡). I know times are tough, but this was unacceptable. Especially coming from someone who has a rather large disdain for all things Philly. As I stated on Facebook though, I may have lost this battle, but I hope to win the war. 

As for this week, the Bucs have a critical road test against the even more hated Aints in New Orleans, and thanks to Derek Carr's shoulder injury, the Bucs may get Jameis Winston for this matchup. If his performance in the fourth quarter of last Sunday's game at Green Bay is any indicator, I like the Bucs' chances; they need to find a way to bottle up Chris Olave though. Oh, and Tampa HAS to find a way to run the football.

My NFL picks:

DET over GB
TB over NO (🙏)
ATL over JAX
PIT over HOU
LAR over IND
MIN over CAR
PHI over WSH
BUF over MIA (the scoreboard will tilt)
CIN over TEN
CLE over BAL
DEN over CHI (first tank bowl of 2023)
LAC over LV
DAL over NE
SF over ARI
KC over NYJ
Bonus pick: Taylor Swift over Carrie Underwood
SEA over NYG

College:

NC State over Louisville
Oregon State over Utah
BYU over Cincinnati
Texas A&M over Arkansas
Penn State over Northwestern

Clemson over Syracuse
USC over Colorado
Florida over Kentucky
Boston College over Virginia
Georgia over Auburn

UCF over Baylor
Michigan over Nebraska
Navy over South Florida
Texas over Kansas
Illinois over Purdue

Missouri over Vanderbilt
Ole Miss over LSU
Oregon over Stanford
Oklahoma over Iowa State
Rice over East Carolina

Tennessee over South Carolina
Notre Dame over Duke
Pittsburgh over Virginia Tech
Alabama over Mississippi State
Washington over Arizona


Enjoy the games!




No comments:

Post a Comment