Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Flashback: April 5, 2003

 Hello again everyone. I didn't really feel like posting an entry today or this week for that matter. The news, what little actual news we get nowadays, is nothing but brain drain, and the news we should be getting but is being hid from us by mainstream media is infuriating, or sad. But I thought I would give a brief respite from the "all Trump all the time" news cycle, and give you the top 40 songs on this date twenty years ago, according to Radio & Records Magazine:

40. Losing Grip by Avril Lavinge. After three singles that reached #1 to start her career, this one feel short of even reaching the top ten, peaking at #17.

39. Breathe by Blu Cantrell. Believe it or not, "Hit 'em Up Style" was not her only top 40 hit, as this song hovered around #40 for quite a while during the first half of 2003.

38. Landslide by The Dixie Chicks. Thier only pop hit, a remake of the Fleetwood Mac classic. Oh, and if I was from Texas (which I thankfully am not), I'd be ashamed of George W. Bush too.

37. Can't Nobody by Kelly Rowland

36. Blowin' Me Up With Her Love by JC Chasez. Dude went solo right about the same time as fellow 'NSync (and Mickey Mouse Club) member Justin Timberlake, though not quite as successful.

35. Misunderstood by Bon Jovi. Yes, the band had a top 40 hit this late into its career.

34. Dumb Girls by Lucy Woodward. I didn't know that MTG and Lauren Boebert would have a song just for them, twenty years ahead of its time.

33. Sick Of Being Lonely by Field Mob. Same, Field Mob. Same.

32. '03 Bonnie and Clyde by Jay-Z f/Beyonce. Yes, they've been together for twenty years already. We're all getting old.

31. Bring Me To Life by Evanescence. This one's a classic from this year.

30. Tell Me by Smilez and Southstar. I believe this outfit hailed from Orlando (checks Wiki, they were). Only noteworthy song by them.

29. I Drove All Night by Celine Dion. This was Celine's remake of the Cyndi Lauper classic from 1989. 

28. I'd Do Anything by Simple Plan

27. Unwell by Matchbox Twenty. Kinda describes most people in 2023...

26. Hell Yeah by Ginuwine

25. Stuck by Stacie Orrico. As I recall, FLZ in Tampa refused to play this because (in my opinion) of a stupid policy that they apparently had that no song that did not begin with a musical introduction (such as this one) could be played on air. I hated that station as well as many others that were under the ClearChannel/iHateMedia umbrella, but that's another story.

24. Running by No Doubt

23. The Anthem by Good Charlotte. This contains one of my all-time favorite lyrics: "Shake it once that's fine. Shake it twice that's okay. Shake it three times, you're playing with yourself again."

22. Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake. Speaking of FLZ, one DJ who would be ultimately fired from that station (because the top dog there couldn't take a joke, classless or not) HATED playing the end of this particular song (which I thought was the best part).

21. Damaged by TLC. Sadly, their last chart hit, coming after the death of Lisa Lopes.

20. Fighter by Christina Aguilera. I didn't really care for her "Dirrty" period tbh.

19. Girl All The Bad Guys Want by Bowling For Soup. Sound like the story of my life, to this very day.

18. Sing For The Moment by Eminem. His take on the Aerosmith classic "Dream On."

17. Don't Mess With My Man by Nivea. no, this wasn't named after the facial care product of the same name. In fact, the singer's actual name was Nivea

16. All The Things She Said by T.a.T.u. Russia's only foray into American pop music to this day, and I still have a bit of a crush on Lena Katina. 











...she is a redhead after all...

15. Superman by Eminem. Absolutely loved this track.

14. Beautiful by Christina Aguilera

13. Bump Bump Bump by B2K and P. Diddy. I guess they were supposed to be the 2000s version of Boys II Men, but that group didn't last very long.

12. If You're Not The One by Daniel Beddingfield. I thought I found the one, until some dude named Mike swiped her away before I had the chance...I'm still bitter about that by the way.

11. Miss You by Aaliyah. Another star that was extinguished prematurely...

10. Gossip Folks by Missy Elliott. This song sampled "Double Dutch Bus" by Frankie Smith.

  9. Ignition by R. Kelly. How interesting (and somewhat creepy) that this artist is almost next to Aaliyah on this chart. After all, didn't he marry her when she was just 15?

  8. Rock Your Body by Justin Timberlake. He sings, "gonna have you naked at the end of this song," and unfortuantely for Janet Jackson, he literally did that following February. 


 










  7. I'm With You by Avril Lavigne. Of the three songs that I mentioned earlier to reach number one, I think this may have been my favorite.

  6. Picture by Sheryl Crow and (name redacted). No, I'm not giving Robert Ritchie credit for this song, after he wasted a bunch of perfectly good Bud Light on social media the other day. Fricking MAGA loon...

  5. Mesmerize by Ja Rule f/Ashanti. I remember that these two performed at halftime of that year's NFC Championship Game between the Bucs and Eagles in Philly, and were booed off the field. Then again, EVERYONE gets booed in Philly. 

  4. Angel by Angela Perez. A song that has been largely forgotten, by an artist who has been largely forgotten.

  3. All I Have by Jennifer Lopez f/ LL Cool J

  2. When I'm Gone by Three Doors Down. I think the only reason this song was widely popular was because we were at war with Iraq at the time, thanks to faulty intelligence. Remember when Colin Powell went to the UN and claimed Iraq had WMDs? Well, to this day, I think it was actually Syria that had them. At least we got Saddam Hussein though...

 and the number one song this week twenty years ago was...

 1. In Da Club by 50 Cent. Go shorty, it's ya birthday. Geez I could've sang this to Samantha a couple of weeks ago.


 So. that was a look back at 2003, a year marked by war, a Super Bowl triumph for my Bucs, andthe start of the post punk era in music. Time to watch the never ending Trump slurp fest on the news networks now. God help me...


More to come



CT

No comments:

Post a Comment