Saturday, March 18, 2023

St. Patrick's Day Flashback

Okay, this is a little late because of basketball and napping, but hello again everyone, except for Virginia, Arizona, and especially Purdue. Seriously, what the hell was that?! Now everyone's bracket is busted, and Gene Keady is ripping out what little hair is left on his head. Anyway, it was St. Patrick's Day. Unfortunately, I didn't get to partake in any shenanigans because I'm waiting on the sloths at Social Security to act on the transfer of my representative from my late sister to my other sister. They were SUPPOSED to receive the necessary paperwork this past Monday, but I guess the sloth is having difficulty crossing the street as usual. So, instead of enjoying a Proper No. 12 Irish Apple, I'm stuck with Coca-Cola Zero. 









However, that isn't stopping me from writing this blog. Heck, if I was drunk, this probably would have been delayed by ANOTHER couple of days, then it would look as if I had more delays than that 3D printed rocket that was supposed to launch last week. So anyway, this week I decided to back in time to before 9/11, but only by a few months. We're going back this week to 2001, which I think is just the third flashback I've done from this millennium. Hard to belive that it's been more than two decades since the millennium turned, but here we are. Anyway, these were the Top 40 songs for this week in 2001 according to Radio & Records Magazine, with some personal anecdotes thrown in there:

40. Yellow by Coldplay. True story, I was almost involved with a woman who would nickname me "yellow" because I would answer the phone (usually when I was trying to sleep because I worked nights) in a manner that sounded like I was saying yellow. Thankfully, I have nothing to do with her anymore.

39. Loser by Three Doors Down. Ouch. You would think since I have rotten luck in the relationship department, this would be a song about me. You would be wrong, but I can't say the same about Jerry Smith.

38. Broken Promises by Tonya Mitchell. One hit wonder, as she faded into Bolivia after this track. I never really experienced a broken promise per se; I never even had a promise period!

37. I Wish by * ***** (name redacted). Uggggh.

36. Too Little Too Late by Barenaked Ladies. Hold up, I'm sensing a recurrong theme here and I don't really like it. Next...

35. Baby Come Over by Samantha Mumba. Unfortunately, Samantha isn't talking to me (though I wish she did, but that's another story). Seriously though, there were two versions of this song, one of which was absolutely unlistenable because it sounded as if she was Mr. Mouth drooling for chips. I used to have that game as a kid...

34. One More Time by Daft Punk. Their first chart hit in America. The video for it I thought was kinda annoying because it was some wacked-out anime version of the Partridge family.

33. The Call by Backstreet Boys. Nope, never got one from the woman I was trying to see back then.

32. Thank You For Loving Me by Bon Jovi. When it finally happens, I'll probably say this. I said say it, not sing it.

31. Ride Wit Me by Nelly. His follow-up to "Country Grammar" which got heavy airplay on Tampa Bay's (S)Hit Music Channel, 93.3 FLZ.

30. Ooh, It's Kinda Crazy by SoulDecision

29. Hemorrhage (In My Hands) by Fuel. I honestly don't know why Casey Kasem never mentioned the word "Hemorrhage" when introducing this song on his countdown. I guess the evangelicals would have been up in arms over it...

28. Stutter by Joe feat. ******* (name redacted). This one featured an artist who was convicted of rape and is currently serving time.

27. I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack. For I guess obvious reasons, I can't find the pop mix of this song on Spotify, and remember, I loathe country music.

26. Southside by Moby f/Gwen Stefani. Another mis that I cannot find on Spotify, as only the solo version is available. Good track though.

25. Best I Ever Had (Gray Sky Morning) by Vertical Horizon

24. I'm Like A Bird by Nelly Furtado. Remember a few years ago when AJ Hawk and Aaron Rodgers had that State Farm spot that featured this song? Fortunately for Ms. Furtado, she collaborated with Timbaland several years later and now this song isn't the only thing she's known for.

23. Survivor by Destiny's Child. As popular as the TV show "Survivor" was back then, I feel there was a missed opportunity by CBS to incorporate this track into their program. Then again, there probably would have been lots of legal hoops to jump through in order to feature it on there...

22. Breathless by The Corrs. Well would you look at that, an Irish band on the countdown on St. Patrick's Day!

21. It Wasn't Me by Shaggy. Seriously, it wasn't me I've never cheated. You can't cheat when you've never really been with someone. 


20. Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse. This song seemed to be hanging by a string for more than just a moment back in 2001...by the way, if I ever got married, not that I believe in sappy wedding songs, but I would...nope, don't say it Chris, you never know who might be reading this...

19. You Make Me Sick by P!nk. I can think of a few people that make me sick, one of them ironically enough is from Philadelphia, which is where P!nk is from (kinda).

18. Follow Me by Uncle Kracker

17. Free by Mya

16. Ms. Jackson by Outkast. Ooooh, I am for reeealll! Their first chart hit although their previous release from Stankonia ("Bombs Over Baghdad") got tons of airplay on MTV. Speaking of which, did they know something we didn't back then? 

Hmmm...on the next "Coast to Coast AM" with Art Bell...

15. No More (Baby I'ma Do Right) by 3LW. Another one hit wonder from back around the turn of the millennium.

14. All For You by Janet. Before she was sexually assaulted by Justin Timberlake at Super Bowl XXXVIII the "Wardrobe Malfunction," Janet (I guess nobody was nasty enough because she dropped her surname at this point) still had a more than respectable career. Wonder what would have happened had that fateful event in Houston not had happened.

13. If You're Gone by Matchbox Twenty. I wonder what people would think if I'M gone...not that I would do anything because I wouldn't. 

By the way, if you or someone you really care about is really going through it emotionally or mentally, please dial 988. Thank you.

12. He Loves U Not by Dream. You know, there were a lot of acts (like this one) that are around my age that came from around this time frame, who had a hit or two then disappeared. Much like Tonya Mitchell and 3LW who I mentioned earlier. Not much staying power for most of these acts...

11. Never Had A Dream Come True by S Club 7. Here is yet another act that falls in that category I just mentioned. Wait (checks notes), I hear they're still around??

10. Around The World (La La La La La) by ATC. Yet another such group, but this one was from Germany.

  9. Thank You by Dido. And Dido would like to thank Eminem for making this song so popular.

  8. Nobody Wants To Be Lonely by Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera. I loved this tune, and it's a damned shame it didn't chart higher. Or that those two (to my knowledge) didn't have another collaboration together.

  7. Don't Tell Me by Madonna. Yes, she was still a thing in 2001.

  6. Jaded by Aerosmith. Their last real chart hit. Although Steven Tyler would still be relevant thanks to his appearance as a judge on "American Idol" when it was still on Fox, even if now he kinda resembles the younger of my sisters.


  5. Crazy by K-Ci and JoJo

  4. Butterfly by Crazy Town

  3. Love Don't Cost A Thing by Jennifer Lopez. Oh REALLY?! I guess you haven't visited Tampa Bay much, have you Jenny? Because the impression that I get is that to gain someone's love you can't be a (figuratively) broke veteran...

  2. Again by Lenny Kravitz. This song is still relevant to this very day, "I wonder if I'll ever see you again..."

...and the number one song this week in 2001 was...

  1. Angel by Shaggy f/Rayvon. Nice update of Juice Newton's 1981 hit, which was a remake of a 1967 song by Merilee Rush. Yes, I'm still looking for my angel. 

*background* "WELL IF YOU WOULDN'T LOOK SO MUCH, YOU'D ACTUALLY FIND ONE!!"
Pfffft. I barely get noticed as it is, how else can I put myself out there???



Anyway, I've finally finished with this week's blog entry, now to surf some more before I take a nap for a couple of hours and do it all again. Until next time...

More to come...




CT







No comments:

Post a Comment