Thursday, March 23, 2023

A Special Birthday Flashback

 Hello again, everyone, but especially to my dear friend (and object of my desire) Samantha. She turns "dirty thirty" today! And although I'll be unable to celebrate it with her (thanks to a flurry of events that have not gone in my favor; what else is new?), I told her that I would create this blog entry on her behalf. So, without further ado, here were the Top 40 songs on this day 30 years ago according to Billboard Magazine.











Happy Birthday!!


40. Nothin' My Love Can't Fix by Joey Lawrence. Today, on a very special "Blossom..." Seriiously, remember GenX'ers when Joey Lawrence was a fixture on "Give Me A Break!" then wound up starring with Mayim Bialik on "Blossom?" Well around the time that "Blossom aired, Lawrence had a relatively successful music career. Didn't really last, but "WHOA!"

39. Bad Girl by Madonna. If you listen to the chorus of this song, it kinda reminds me of Samantha,,,before last July. Now she's engaged and isn't so much of a bad girl anymore...or IS SHE?

38. It Was A Good Day by Ice Cube. As is today.

37. In The Still Of The Night by Boyz II Men. This was from a TV Movie about the life of the Jacksons, yes, THOSE Jacksons. Didn't see it, because I was too busy with schoolwork studying nuclear power.

36. Rump Shaker by Wreckx-N-Effect. All I wanna do is zoom a zoom, zoom, zoom and a boom boom!

35. If I Ever Lose My Faith In You by Sting

34. Rhythm Is A Dancer by Snap. An iconic song from this era that in my opinion doesn't get enough love.

33. Man On The Moon by R.E.M. Now Andy did you hear about this one? Speaking of which the Andy that the song refers to is Andy Kaufman, who is posthumously being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this spring.

32. If I Ever Fall In Love by Shai. If memory serves me correct, this is the only song that charted in the last forty years to be completely a capella. If not, please let me know.

31. Saving Forever For You by Shanice. Ugh, a "90210" track.

30. Hat 2 Da Back by TLC. I honestly don't remember this song.

29. Sweet Thing by Mary J. Blige

28. Angel by Jon Secada

27. Heal The World by Michael Jackson

26. Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat) by Digable Planets. I think this got played at the old Edge nightclub in Orlando back in those days.

25. Love Is by Vanessa Williams & Brian McKnight. Another "90210" song. I didn't know this at the time but McKnight was from Orlando.

24. Get Away by Bobby Brown

23. I'm So Into You by SWV. And I am, still.

22. Ditty by Paperboy. I'll have to give this a listen, as I didn't hear it back in the day, nor did chart on Radio & Records top 40.

21. Here We Go Again by Portrait

20. 7 by Prince and the New Power Generation

19. That's What Love Can Do by Boy Krazy. If you want to know how whacked the music scene was around this time frame, THIS was Radio & Records number 1 song that week. 

18. Forever In Love by Kenny G

17. Cat's In The Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe. I think the version by Harry Chapin was better, but that's just me.

16. The Right Kind Of Love by Jeremy Jordan. The THIRD song from "90210" to make it on here. Guess that's how much of a pop culture phenomenon that show was.

15. Two Princes by Spin Doctors. In a way, I can somewhat relate to this song...

14. I Got A Man by Positive K "But your man ain't me." Another song I can relate to.

13. Comforter by Shai. This was some serious baby-making music back in the day.

12. Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty By Nature. Hip hop hoorayyyy, oooooo, ayyyyyy, oooooo, ayyyyy, oooooh...

11. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston. This stayed at number one for like, forever. Got Dolly a lot of run too since she co-wrote as well as sang the original version in the 1970's.

10. Bed Of Roses by Bon Jovi. As I sleep on a bed of nails...

  9. I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston

  8. Mr. Wendal by Arrested Development

  7. Don't Walk Away by Jade. I remember seeing th music video for this song, and was mesmerized at the time. Hey, I was 19!

  6. Ordinary World by Duran Duran. For as much as an 80's establishment that this band was, this was arguably their biggest hit.

  5. I'm Every Woman by Whitney Houston. How about that, three songs in the top eleven for Whitney, which in that timeframe was something that hadn't been done since I want to say the Beatles in the 1960's. Of course, Taylor Swift wound up sweeping the entire Top Ten late last year.

  4. A Whole New World by Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle. "I can show you the world..." Oh, tell Nicki Minaj that this is what Peabo Bryson is known for.

  3. Freak Me by Silk. Another baby making tune.

  2. Nuthin' But A "G" Thang by Dr. Dre. Love this song, brings back memories.

...and the number one song on this date 30 years ago was...

  1. Informer by Snow. Other than "a licky boom-boom down," I don't think I quite undestand every word of this song. For all I know, it goes, "Informer, iihihpghiuwghppblah, a licky boom-boom down!"

So there was your top songs on the day that Samantha was born. Sam, if you're reading this, I'm sorry I can't celebrate with you (in large part to my insufferable siblings) but I know you're going to have a wonderful and wild time. Enjoy your day! 😘

 

As for the rest of you, I'll have more to come, as usual.


CT





\



No comments:

Post a Comment