Saturday, May 14, 2022

Live From Spring Hill, It's Saturday Night!

 Hello again, everyone. I and a lot of mutuals on Twitter are coming off a high of the Tampa Bay Lightning surviving a seven-game battle with the Toronto Maple Leafs and moving on to round two against those dastardly LOLCats from Broward County. Time to show those pissycats who actually RUNS this state...AGAIN.









Last night after I finished my last entry, I decided to watch an episode of WWE "Raw" from October 9, 2000. I won't go into long-winded detail about it, because it's already on the web somewhere, but for you wrestling fans out there, long story short, "Commissioner" Mick Foley had suspended Stone Cold Steve Austin indefinitely on the previous week's "Smackdown!" because he kept interfering in matches and handing out stunners to everyone. Keep in mind that this was a result of Stone Cold and Mick Foley trying to get to the bottom of who ran him over with a car during the previous year's Survivor Series PPV (now it's called a "premium live event"). Well, at the end of "Raw," Foley found out who the culprit was; Rikishi, who happens to be cousin of the WWE(F) Champion at the time, The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). Rikishi then cuts a promo (speech for those who don't follow sports entertainment) about how he and The Rock were being held back from being ultimately successful because they were Pacific Islanders. 

That got me to thinking...Jimmy and Jey Uso, current Smackdown Tag Team champions, are the real-life sons of Rikishi, and Roman Reigns is current WWE Champion. Reigns is also a relative of Rikishi. So, here you have that promo from an episode of Raw all those years ago, compared to what's happening today in WWE. Now that is some long-term storytelling, and it's not over. A recent episode of "Young Rock" alluded to Joe Anoai (Reigns) as a little kid watching Raw and wanting a young Rock to acknowledge him, just like today. So, I and others who follow WWE are speculating that next year at WrestleMania, we will see Reigns vs. the Rock. Talk about next-level storytelling...

I haven't dug into the tragic news from Buffalo today, but gosh almighty, when will these senseless shootings stop?

The rumors are apparently true, Vladdy P has cancer. Meanwhile, in a somewhat related note, Ukraine won the annual Eurovision song contest this afternoon.

Remember the post I made about a radio station I used to listen to being back online? Well it was down for several weeks, but it's now returned as part of the FadeFM family. Along with that station, there's also a channel known as "Florida Breakbeats," which reminds me somewhat of late-night raves at the old Edge nightclub, which is now Ace Cafe. That was by far my favorite hangout (other than the old O-rena) when I was in the Naval Training Center in Orlando. Now the training center is Baldwin Park, and when I first visited in 2005, I admit I got a little bit misty-eyed. Hell, practically all of Orlando now is unrecognizable from when I last lived there some thirty years ago. Anyway, that's what I'm listening to now. 

Speaking of now, time to get my drink on. Cheers, everyone!


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment