Friday, October 22, 2021

I Have Some Catching Up To Do

 

Hello again. As you probably have figured out by now, I haven't been very active writing on this blog he past couple of weeks. As one twitter mutual stated this week, "Yay for depression." Besides that though, I've been battling a severe case of hiccups this week. Starting on Wednesday night and lasting until about an hour ago. It got so bad one time that early Thursday morning, I was nearly convulsing from it. Don't know what exactly triggered it, but I think it was the chicken pot pie I had Wednesday for dinner. For some reason it doesn't settle very well with my stomach; gas pain, bloating, the sudden inability to belch; okay, I'm going too far (and perhaps I should get some Gas-X). I just don't want to become that then-teenage girl from the Tampa Bay area that suddenly gained notoriety for having non-stop hiccups some years ago (I think it was the last decade) then a few years after that, was invoved in a bizarre murder-for-hire scheme. Yes, that actually happened. And just as I typed hat, they (hiccup) returned. Man, I (hiccup) just can't catch a good (hiccup) break. 

First off, the authorities found Brian Laundrie, or what was left of him, yesterday. Good. I think everybody under the sun who have been following the case knew he strangled poor Gabbie Petitio to death. As for me, I speculated with a friend up in St. Louis via text around the time he suddenly vanished in that nature preserve that he was more than likely in the belly of an alligator. I didn't buy into conspiracy theories that many in the right-wing media were trying to peddle (which caused Dog the Gravy Trainer to try to "chase" after him, much to the delight of Fox News and NewsNation). Sure enough, he was probably mauled to death/eaten by a gator or some other animal in the Florida swamp.
 













Given the proximity of this story to Halloween, I wonder if someone in Hollywood would try to spin this entire tragedy into a scary Halloween-type horror story. Like Laundrie isn't actually dead, but he somehow managed to survive the swamp and now he (or his zombie-like body or his demented spirit) now haunts that part of SW Florida. Then again, a story like that probably has been done before, but if it does get done, I have one request: please have a running car scene in it.













Hockey and basketball seasons have started. I have high hopes for the back-to-back Stanley Cup champions Tampa Bay Lightning again this season. Three-peat? Possible, but I kind of doubt it. My Stanley Cup Final picks are the New York Islanders over the Colorado Avalanche (who the Lightning play Saturday). As for the Orlando Tragic, it's another year in their perpetual rebuild. After tonight's loss, they're 0-2 on the young season. To be honest, I think they'll struggle to win 20 games this season, and probably gain a top-3 lottery pick. As for who wins this season? Well, it's the 75th anniversary of the league this year, so naturally it will be the Los Angeles Lakers besting the Boston Celtics for the Larry O'Brien trophy.

My football picks have been pretty good...sort of. In the last two weeks I was 11-5 and 11-3 straight up, but 7-8-1 and 8-6 against the spread. For the season, I'm 65-29 straight up and 49-44-1 ATS. Allow me for a second to go over the Seminole Compact. Yes, it's good that people in Florida can participate in sports betting...but there's a catch. It must be done on Seminole land. Which means unless you live in South Florida or Tampa, you're sh*t out of luck. And you can't participate in sports books that you see advertised on TV (such as Caesar's). Which means if you live in (ironically named) Seminole County, you have to traverse the hellish nightmare that is Interstate 4 through downtown Orlando AND the attractions area, then miles and miles of swampy wasteland until you reach Lakeland, where you're within striking distance of Hard Rock Tampa (which is thankfully on the east side of town by the fairgrounds). If you remember my entry from over two years ago, you'll remember I had it with living in Florida, and had about a foot out the door even. But my sister didn't want me to explore St. Louis when I wanted to (she apparently has never wanted me to possibly fall in love), and I wound up waiting until November of that year. Then the pandemic happened. Now we're here. Yes, Tampa has won three championships in that time, but it isn't the end-all-be-all. You know how some folks are now saying "bleep Joe Biden?" well I have my own mantra I've had since 2018: "(Bleep) Ron Desantis and (bleep) Donald Trump."

Sorry about that rant, anyway, here are my picks for this week's NFL games:

NYG (+3) over CAR

ATL (-2.5) over MIA

GB (-7.5) over WAS

BAL (-6.5) over CIN 

NE (-7) over NYJ

TEN (+4.5) over KC

LAR (-16.5) over DET

LV (-3) over PHI

ARI over HOU (+17.5)

TB over CHI (+11.5)

IND (+4) over SF

NO (-4.5) over SEA

BYES:
BUF, DAL, LAC, PIT, MIN

Bye-bye-bye:
JAX

I might have more later this weekend, but (hiccup) I have to (hiccup) get these (hiccup) hiccups squared away (hiccup). Until later (hiccup).


CT

No comments:

Post a Comment