Friday, August 28, 2026

What A Messed Up Week...(A Special Dolly Flashback)

Hello, everyone, and Happy Friday. This has been an unbelievably brutal week for not only most everyone around the United States, but in other parts of the world, especially in Nepal. Our president is off his rocker, again. The moon is currently under an eclipse, but I couldn't get pictures because there is a skitterish dog asleep in the room across from me and any sudden noise will startle him. But worst of all, the Grim Reaper is on a Jeremy Lin-esque streak this week. 

Within the past ten days, we've lost Hayden Panettiere, Jaye P. Morgan, Tim Curry, Shelly Fabares, Peter Cullen (voice of Optimus Prime), and most importantly to many of us, Dolly Parton. She was the first celebrity crush I had (for obvious reasons), but more importantly, she meant a lot of things to a lot of people from all walks of life, from royal dignitaries and world leaders to the common human being like you and me. She was so philanthropic in her endeavors, words alone cannot state how important and wonderful of a human she was. EVERYONE loved Dolly, and if you didn't, either you haven't paid attention or something is wrong with you.



















Since it's been a few weeks since I last did a flashback, I thought I would honor her (if you could consider me posting a blog entry about her an honor) by posting a flashback of one of her biggest hits, and for this one, I'm choosing February 21, 1981. So, without further ado, here (according to Billboard Magazine) were the Top 40 hits from that above date.

40. Killin' Time by Fred Knoblock & Susan Anton
39. Don't Stand So Close To Me by Police
38. Precious To Me by Phil Seymour
37. Back In Black by AC/DC
36. (Ghost) Riders In The Sky by Outlaws.

There was some good news that came out of this week. Yesterday, the Tampa City Council voted 4-3 to approve funding for the new mixed-use development at the site of Hillsborough Community College that include a new ballpark for the Rays. Now the County Commission votes, and the result of which may come in as I write this. Stay tuned.

35. Guilty by Barbra Streisand & Barry Gibb
34. Love On The Rocks by Neil Diamond
33. Fade Away by Bruce Springsteen
32. Seven Bridges Road by The Eagles
31. Ah! Leah! by Donnie Iris.

Some other good news to report, my personal life has taken a turn for the better. Not to go into too much detail, but as the kids say nowadays (we) are so back!

30. Living In A Fantasy by Leo Sayer
29. It's My Turn by Diana Ross
28. Kiss On My List by Daryl Hall & John Oates
27. Hearts On Fire by Randy Meisner
26. What Kind Of Fool by Barbra Streisand & Barry Gibb.

You know, speaking of DeAr LeAdEr renaming things on a whim because he's a petty, miserable little man, I think for my next blog entry I should go around renaming various geographical names just for the hell of it.

25. Smoky Mountain Rain by Ronnie Milsap
24. Games People Play by Alan Parsons Project
23. Treat Me Right by Pat Benatar
22. Heartbreak Hotel by The Jacksons
21. A Little In Love by Cliff Richard.

And we're halfway through...

20. Miss Sun by Boz Scaggs
19. Rapture by Blondie
18. Together by Tierra
17. Hello Again by Neil Diamond
16. Every Woman In The World by Air Supply
15. Crying by Don McLean
14. I Ain't Gonna Stand For It by Stevie Wonder
13. (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon
12. The Winner Takes It All by ABBA
11. Passion by Rod Stewart. 

A quick thought about the date of this countdown. I had just turned seven years old and was in first grade at Orlando Christian School. In fact, I have still have a small certificate for a job well done from back in September of 1980:











Thanks to my late sister Gloria for saving it for me all these years later.

10. Hey Nineteen by Steely Dan
  9. Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg
  8. Giving It Up For Your Love by Delbert McClinton
  7. The Best Of Times by Styx
  6. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon.

Every time that song plays, I think of her...

  5. The Tide Is High by Blondie
  4. Woman by John Lennon
  3. Celebration by Kool & The Gang
  2. I Love A Rainy Night by Eddie Rabbitt

and the number one song on February 21, 1981 was of course...

  1. 9 to 5 by DOLLY PARTON

You know, looking at this chart, the top two songs were country crossover hits as well as hits by artists who are now deceased. Makes me think about doing a list of artists on these flashbacks that are dead or alive. 

THIS JUST IN: Hillsborough County APPROVES the new ballpark by a 5-2 vote! It's not a World Series win, but it's just as important in my eyes. What a way to end the week on a high note!

I should be writing again sometime this weekend or early part of next week, in the meantime, enjoy your Friday.



BonyScribe

No comments:

Post a Comment