Thursday, June 15, 2023

It's Been Awhile

Hello, everyone. As you can probably tell, I haven't posted on this blog lately. Just over a month to be exact. Chalk it up to my chronic depression and lack of a will to write anything to be honest. But, I'm here, thankfully, so I guess I'll get a few things off my chest. 

First off, what is up with all these bear sightings in Florida...amongst the public?? Last week, we had a bear sighting at Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. Then this past weekend, a bear was seen swimming in the Gulf of Mexico off Destin, much to the surprise of beachgoers there. Then just yesterday, a bear was captured and relocated after roaming on the property of Tampa International Airport. I know that there are plenty of black bears here in our once fair state, but this recent rash of these bears in public is a little disconcerting, especially when you consider that there has been a string of orca attacks lately, and you wonder if there something is in the air, or in the water. I know "El Nino" has arrived, but I don't see a correlation between the two...or three. But I have a bad feeling about hurricane season.

Other things, the Bucs are finally going to wear their OG orange jerseys this season, coming versus Detroit (who actually may be good this year) on week Five. According to Lavonte David, a thirteen-year veteran with the Bucs who is the only player to have worn the creamsicle jerseys last (in 2012), there may be something new with them: 



I wonder what it could be, are the uniforms look more orangey like during the late 70s? Are they going to have Bucco Bruce on the sleeve? Will they have a throwback word insignia on the collar? I can't wait until October to see them quite frankly.

One issue I do have with the Bucs is that they aren't complete forthright as far as their logo history is concerned. This is the original Bucs logo that was on their helmets from their inception in 1976, and is currently their throwback logo:











However, the insignias that I remember growing up (that was put on T-shirts and  publications) looked a little more like this:











Notice the difference between the two? Rather subtle, but you can tell it's there. According to the NFC South page on "The Helmet Project:"

 The original Tampa Bay Buccaneers logo was designed by Lamar Sparkman, an artist and cartoonist for the Tampa Tribune. The helmet decals for this design were enlarged by "about 25%" in 1992, according to some sources; it is unclear to me whether this stated figure refers to surface area or to length/width

What I think happened was that the helmet decal actually reverted to the second logo shown above. After doing some image searching on bing, I noticed that it the change in the helmet logo came in 1991 (as seen on this play from Keith McCants vs. Miami and Dan Marino), although the size did increase in 1992.

Am I being nitpicky? Yes. But do I want to make sure the history of my favorite team is also correct? Absolutely. Now if only they could bring back the actual word insignia from that era:












Since I also haven't posted in about a month, I also haven't done any flashbacks. That will change probably later this afternoon, provided nothing comes up. In the meantime I'm off to lunch. I should have even more writing for you this week. Later.


CT





No comments:

Post a Comment