Thursday, October 1, 2015

Baseball going Back to the Future(?), Joaquin, and Rising to the Occasion.

Good morning. A few quick thoughts this morning; I wish I had more time to devote to this, but when you work a couple of hours overtime it kind of puts a clamp on this little project that is this blog. Nevertheless, let's get to it...


Back To The Future, Or Back To The Past?

 For those of you who follow baseball, the Postseason is right around the corner. For those who follow classic movies, in particular the "Back To The Future" trilogy, you would know that this year (2015) was where Doc Brown, Marty McFly, and Jennifer Parker time travel to in Part II. If you recall towards the beginning of the movie, this scene appeared:


Yes, that's right, the Cubs win the World Series. Well, that being said, wouldn't you know the Cubs are indeed in this year's playoffs. However, they won't sweep Miami in the World Series; although (and I suppose much indeed to Marty's surprise) the Marlins (not Gators) are in Miami, they play in the same league as the Cubs and cannot face them in the World Series. Twelve years ago though, they DID meet for the right to play in that year's World Series, and had it not been for a bespeckled dork in the left field stands, life may have indeed imitated art:
.
Last I heard he was still in exile, probably under an assumed identity in DeKalb (ok, not really but still...). Suffice to say I'm still a little bitter about that...but I digress

Back to the movie; now of course the start of the movie (which was concurrent with the end of Part I) was in October of 1985. In baseball that year, the Toronto Blue Jays, Kansas City Royals, St. Louis Cardinals, and Los Angeles Dodgers were the teams that made the playoffs. The Royals would rally from 3-1 down to defeat the Blue Jays in seven games to win the American League, while the Cardinals (thanks in large part to that Ozzie Smith "GO CRAZY, FOLKS! GO CRAZY!!" home run) defeated the Dodgers in six games to win the National League. The Royals would rally from ANOTHER 3-1 deficit to win their first, and to date only, World Series title.

Fast forward to 2015, and interestingly enough not only are the Chicago Cubs in the playoffs (albeit a wild card game vs the Pittsburgh Pirates), but ALL FOUR participants in that 1985 postseason are as well. And would you believe that it is indeed possible that the Blue Jays and Royals could meet in the ALCS, while the Cardinals and Dodgers could meet in the NLCS?? And could we have a reprise of that World Series thirty years ago between the Royals and Cardinals???

Whoa Doc, this is heavy!

So although we may be celebrating going Back to the Future, we may be going back in time...


Monitoring Joaquin...

As quiet as this Atlantic Hurricane Season has been, what a surprise to see that one storm actually may pack a punch. Joaquin is wreaking havoc on the Bahamas, and appears to be taking aim for southern New England, much like Sandy did a few years ago.  Now according to the forecast model in the link above, it appears Joaquin will weaken to a tropical storm once it nears the New England coast. In addition, should it make landfall near the New York metro area, it may come in disorganized, incoherent, and possibly drunk.

Ok, so I exaggerated just a wee bit on that last sentence (honestly that was the first thing I thought of when I saw Joaquin could land in NYC; who could ever forget), but seriously if you're anywhere along the east coast from Myrtle Beach north, please be careful the next few days. And if you happen to be in the Carolinas, be extra careful with all that rainfall you've been getting...


I Was Called Out; I Answered

If you remember my post last week, you may recall I mentioned that my nephew Eric had called me out on my football picks. Well, did I ever deliver! 14-2 last week, the only two losses being the Jets and the Ravens. Speaking of the Ravens, they are 0-3 for the first time in their history...that's twenty seasons; quite a remarkable run. Tonight they hope to lick their wounds on another team licking their own wounds, the Pittsburgh Steelers, who will be without Ben Roethlisberger for at least four weeks. Not good for Steeler Nation who now have to turn to Michael Vick...uggggggghhh...

Last year in the playoffs, Baltimore shocked the Steelers in Pittsburgh. I have a feeling history may repeat itself; this is a hungry Ravens team and they can win in the Steel City, and certainly better than 0-3.

I'll take the Ravens in a close one, 21-20.

Rest of the NFL as well as my survivor pick coming possibly Saturday. For now though it's past my bedtime...


...like I said, I wish I had more time to devote to this...




No comments:

Post a Comment