Friday, November 4, 2022

Flashback: 11/4/1983 With Random Thoughts

 Hello everyone, except you Elon. Seriously, he hasn't even taken over Twitter for a day and he's more worried about revenue and "free speech" than anything else. Look, free speech is fine and important, but when includes people saying nothing but n-bombs and promoting Anti-Semetic behavior (right, Kyrie Irving?), you have to draw the line somewhere. Free speech shouldn't include hate speech. Period.

Anyway, on to what I wanted to focus on tonight, and that's the top 40 from this date in 1983. 1983 was probably the year that influenced popular music for the rest of the decade and even a small part of the 90's. Of course, we have Michael Jackson and his classic album Thriller to thank for that. It also marked a major change in my life, as I of course moved to North Carolina from Orlando, so I had to adjust from going from a soon to be sprawling metropolis to podunkville. Anyway, these were the Top 40 songs on November 4, 1983, according to Radio & Records Magazine. And as earlier this week, I'm going to add some random thoughts along with the countdown. Here we go...

40. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues by Elton John. You know what's the blues for me? Not being able to talk to you-know-who on a regular basis. I'm sure she knows that. She also knows hoow I feel about her. I am thankful that we can be friends at least. But I want more...

39. Twist Of Fate by Olivia Newton-John. You know, this past week-plus has been really odd, and not just because of blankety-blank trying to ruin my favorite social media platform. There were other events that took place that had me scratching my head or saying, "wow."

38. Union Of The Snake by Duran Duran. Let's start with Taylor Swift. You know, I almost had the urge to do a flashback to this week in 2008, because she sang the National Anthem before Game 3 of the 2008 World Series (I'd rather not remember that series, the Rays made their first appearance in the Fall Classic and lost), and today is a rather noteworthy day in US history.

37. Invisible Hands by Kim Carnes. But I instead rolled my D20 die, and it landed on 4, which means it's 1983. Plus, I saw a TikTok video this week (I'm at @bonyscribe1 there by the way) that went over the Top Ten songs for that year, and I found out some tidbits about the songs listed that I hadn't heard about before, such as Janet Jackson appearing in the video for "Thriller" as a zombie.

36. Synchronicity II by The Police. Anyway, back to Taylor. Last week she accomplished something no other music act had ever achieved before; she swept the top ten spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Now, I know we are in a much different era of music than before the turn of the millennium. Still, that's an amazing accomplishment!

35. In A Big Country by Big Country. On top of that, Taylor announced that for the first time in five years, she's launching a tour. The ONLY Florida date by the way? Raymond James Stadium in Tampa for two nights, April 14 and 15, 2023.

34. Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling. Since this song is an answer to David Bowie's 1969 classic "A Space Oddity," I thought I would give you some rocket news that broke this morning. 

33. How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye by Dionne Warwick w/Luther Vandross. This morning, another out of control Chinese rocket booster crashed to Earth, fortunately crashing into the South Pacific. This rocket was of some concern to me especially since I saw on TikTok that one potential path of said rocket was over Florida, near the Tampa Bay region, where I of course live. 

32. Just Got Lucky by Joboxers. Of course, this was ridiculed by space agencies in Europe and NASA, but that isn't the only thing I heard about the Chinese government this week that piqued my interest.

31. Queen Of The Broken Hearts by Loverboy. Now the following is purely based on speculation, so please take this with a grain of salt. I had also heard on TikTok this week that China isn't potentially going to invade Taiwan, and instead set their sights on...Russia. Particularly the Russian far East. In fact, there is a printed source that describes this possible event happening, however that source happens to be a pro-Trump outlet, and if you know anything from what I've tweeted about in the past regarding Trump, whatever they're printing shouldn't be believed, so I won't hyperlink the story on here.

30. Souls by Rick Springfield. Had a brief exchange on Twitter earlier tonight from a Lightning fan mutual from Oregon about Michael Damian returning to Young and the Restless. I only retweeted it because as a teenager, one of my favorite songs was his remake of "Rock On," which hit number one in 1989. I only knew he played on the soap opera because of the song. I also know Rick Springfield was the OG when it came to soap stars suddenly becoming rock stars, and wouldn't you know he's on this countdown?

29. My Town by Michael Stanley Band. I mentioned earlier in this entry my move to North Carolina during this year. Well North Carolina is considered the home of NASCAR, and man was there something that occurred at the end of the race last weekend in Martinsville, Virginia that people are STILL talking about to this day.

28. Automatic Man by Michael Sembello. In case you have not heard about what happened, allow me to explain the best I can. Last week was the penultimate race of the NASCAR season, which in recent years is the final "playoff" race before the championship race in Phoenix (used to be Homestead-Miami).

27. Why Me by Irene Cara. The NASCAR playoffs work like this: the sixteen drivers with the highest point total at the end of the regular season (after about 22 races, sometime around August) compete in the NASCAR playoffs. It was a way of NASCAR a few years ago to try to boost viewership amongst casual fans who likely tune out to auto racing around the time football season starts.

26. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes by Asia. They then race the next three weeks, to whittle the playoff field to twelve drivers, then another three to whittle the field to eight, then again until they reach the "Championship 4," which the race in Martinsville determined.

25. Mirror Man by Human League. Long story short, entering the final lap at Martinsville, driver Ross Chastain was sitting in fifth place in the standings and needed to pass Denny Hamlin (who was in fourth place in the standings) to grab the final championship spot. What happened after that was nothing short of remarkable.

24. Church Of The Poison Mind by Culture Club. In what was called a "video game move" according to the Motor Racing Network, Chastain went full throttle down the backstretch, rode the wall at full speed around the corner, and beat Hamlin to the checkered flag and in doing so, captured the final playoff spot from Hamlin.

23. Telefone (Long Distance Love Affair) by Sheena Easton. I've been watching auto racing ever since I was a little kid, and in all my forty-eight years I had NEVER seen anything like this. Of course, had this been a decade or so earlier there was no way he could have pulled this off.

22. Tender Is The Night by Jackson Browne. In years past, the walls around various circuits where NASCAR races weren't equipped with SAFER barriers. They were only developed at the turn of the century, and after the unfortunate death of Dale Earnhardt at the 2001 Daytona 500, they started to be implemented across racetracks across America. 

21. Love Is A Stranger by Eurythmics. Also, in certain short tracks, there were crossover gates, which if hit at just the right angle could cause catastrophic damage to a race car. Just ask Michael Waltrip (who won that 2001 Daytona 500). 

20. True by Spandau Ballet. One other thing that blew my mind this week was what happened in World Series between the Houston Astors and the Philadelphia Phillies.

19. Tonight I Celebrate My Love by Roberta Flack & Peabo Bryson. The Astros became the second team to throw a no-hitter (and first combined no-hitter), and the first since Don Larsen's perfect game way back in 1956, in the World Series. It was also just the third no-hitter in postseason play, the other interestingly enough was achieved by the Phillies (with the late Roy Halladay in 2010).

18. Total Eclipse Of The Heart by Bonnie Tyler. The next night however, was one of the more thrilling games in recent history. The Astors won a nail-biter 3-2 to take a series lead of three games to two. But during the game, some people were spotted on the roof of Citizen's Bank Park.

17. Say It Isn't So by Hall & Oates. Of course, I first read about it on Twitter. According to some commentators on social media according to the above linked story, they were part of the pyrotechnics crew. However, no official word from the Phillies was made.

16. Send Her My Love by Journey. In a matter of hours, WWE will hold its annual circle jerk to the Saudi royal family, as they will hold the "Crown Jewel" premium live event from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

15. PYT (Pretty Young Thing) by Michael Jackson. Usually, I make it a point not to watch events from Saudi Arabia for a litany of reasons. KSA's deplorable human rights record being amongst them. Oh, and there's that issue with an American-based Saudi journalist being murdered there in 2018. 

14. Crumblin' Down by John Mellencamp. There is also the potential of Iran threatening an attack on targets within the Kingdom, according to the Wall Steet Journal. Of course, if it were up to me, I would have cancelled the event altogether, but WWE has too much money tied up in Saudi (thanks Vince!) to turn their backs, in fact I think doing so would be a breach of contract or something, so they're stuck there, like it or not.

Since it's getting absurdly late, I'm going to breeze through the last 13 songs on this countdown.

13. If Anyone Falls by Stevie Nicks

12. Modern Love by David Bowie

11. King Of Pain by The Police

10. Cum On Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot

  9. Delirious by Prince

  8. Heart & Soul by Huey Lewis & The News

  7. Love Is A Battlefield by Pat Benatar

  6. One Thing Leads To Another by The Fixx

  5. Suddenly Last Summer by The Motels

  4. Islands In The Stream by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton

  3. Say Say Say by Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson  

  2. Uptown Girl by Billy Joel

and the number one song on this date 39 years ago was...

  1. All Night Long (All Night) by Lionel Richie. Kind of fitting because I stayed up all night doing this, lol.












Well, that's my spiel for now. Think I'll try to get some sleep, that is if I don't wind up looking at YouTube videos or TikToks the rest of this late night. I should have more sometime this weekend, until then follow me on twitter. For now, be well.


BS


I think I need to ask my favorite bartender to make me a double, unfortunately it's past last call...


 









πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—

No comments:

Post a Comment