Thursday, June 3, 2021

I Fell Down The Rabbit Hole...

I was struggling to fall asleep the other night as is usual with me, so I decided to see what was up on twitter. The usual crap-fest of lame jokes and hashtag games were there, as was the usual random political ranting, but then I came across an account that piqued my interest; an account called 80s News Screens, ad as you might expect, it's screenshots of various news feeds from local TV stations from the decade of the 1980s. 

As I was scrolling, I happened to come across this picture that immediately set off bells and whistles in my brain. It was from WESH-TV in Orlando from sometime in the VERY early part of the decade.


At first look, I couldn't recognize anyone from the photo, so I decided to dig further down the rabbit hole. The only people I could remember at first from that far back that worked at channel 2 were Dave Marsh, the chief meteorologist, Buddy Pittman, and Don Gould. Both of them worked in the sports department, and as memory recalls, I think Gould would go onto WNBC in New York around the time I moved from Orlando to Podunkville, NC in 1983, but I digress. 

After sleeping on it for a little bit, the named Kendrick suddenly popped into my brain. I remembered there was a guy named Kendrick that worked there, but I couldn't quite remember his first name. So, I googled it and the name Ron Kendrick appeared. I thought it was the guy pictured on the right was him; it wasn't. It turned out it was Wayne Bennett, who should have remembered from those days because as a six/seven year old, I thought he was married to, or related to the second grade teacher (Mrs. Bennett) from the school I attended at the time, Orlando Christian School. Side note: Mrs. Bennett would be replaced over the summer of 1981 at that school.

Even more astonishing was that after searching on YouTube, I found the actual clip that the above picture came from. So, that mystery was solved...


Now if I can find out what happened with Mary Armantrout...


CT



Like Etsy? Check out this shop

No comments:

Post a Comment